Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

pings on sky broadband, high or low

This is a discussion on pings on sky broadband, high or low within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Has anyone actually said to sky WHEN enquiring about switching their broadband to Sky " i`m a gamer and require ...

Russ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Bridge (ESLVB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: ER115
      Sky TV: SkyQ
      Thanks

Re: pings on sky broadband, high or low

Has anyone actually said to sky WHEN enquiring about switching their broadband to Sky " i`m a gamer and require fastpath/low pings etc, do you supply it?"

Weird that people put the blame on Sky saying Sky don't explain they don't use fastpath when in fact "some" people obviously haven't enquired in the first place if Sky use it?

( just wondered if they then try the 'you didnt tell me' ploy to get out of their contract couldn't Sky in turn say " well, you didnt ask for it when you ordered it otherwise we would have said" )

just as a btw i don't work for Sky, but i think it fair to say the blame 'might' just not be totally sky's

2. Advertisement
      PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

good point..

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Has anyone actually said to sky WHEN enquiring about switching their broadband to Sky " i`m a gamer and require fastpath/low pings etc, do you supply it?"
      I guess people do not expect to hit ping problems and only find out after they migrate,they then go looking for answers and end up in forums like these.
      I had never heard of interleaving until i my pings suddenly jumped 20ms , i phoned my ISP and Customer Support found it had been put on my line for no reason,they got BT to put me on fast path and its been fine ever since.
      Sky should make it clear that they only supply a interleaved service and explain what it means for those that do not know.
      Last edited by maxping; 22-04-07 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks

Actually i did.
      If someone knows they would need a low ping rate my argument was ... have they asked if sky use fastpath/low pingrates etc ( which if i`m right in saying a few people have already stated they KNEW they needed low pingrates and fastpath BEFORE they signed up to Sky )

Personally we play online on my sons x-box and so far ( touches wood ) have had no lag or problems.
      Last edited by Russ; 22-04-07 at 07:12 PM.

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
      Actually i did.
      If someone knows they would need a low ping rate my argument was ... have they asked if sky use fastpath/low pingrates etc
      Every gamer knows they need a low ping but i bet 99% of gamers have never heard of fast path or interleaving its only something you find out about *after* you have ping problem.

I wonder what customer support would say if you asked "do Sky supply a fast path service"?
      I bet it would be something along the lines of either "Whats fast path" or "no but the majority of users find the pings are acceptable"

m.barnes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
      umm good luck with that. As there is not anything in the contract that states specifically the service can be used for gaming, then the fact you feel it is inadequate for gaming is negated.
      thanks for the wishes of good luck. i am sure i will get on just fine thanks. just waiting for my case against barclays to end before i start anything else. so the people that have PM'd will let you know in a couple of weeks

MrBlue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rugby
      Broadband ISP: Migrated to BeThere.co.uk
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You don't have to be on FASTPATH to get good pings. My last 4 ISP's have all been INTERLEAVED and SKY is the only ISP to have pings over 30ms (50-60ms). I am currently on Be (INTERLEAVED) and get 20ms.
      My Speed on BeThere...

I used to get less than 6mb on Sky!!!

Thanks

Snap! I`m not on fastpath either and play x-box live online and never yet had any problems.

NvG|Man0waR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: very nearby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hiya all

Id strongly agree that many gamers wouldnt know/need to know bout fastpath/interleaving before they joined sky as they most likely never encountered any problems before with their ISp's and were to busy playing the games to be reading up on the ins and outs of asdl connections, therefore i stand by my point that the blame is on sky for not letting there potential customers know this may be an issue..

However...

I think i feel more strong on this issue because i get a constant and steady stream of Connection Interupts whilst playing online (COD 2) Im not overly fussed about the small 20ms rise in ping, and if this were just the case i wouldnt even be on these forums...but its the CI's...how can i stop them!? any ideas? Its so frustrating!

My ping is steady @ 50 except for the ping spikes or whatever they are which push me up to 400+ and cause my game to totally freak out...therefore i cant play in my clan competitively untill this issue is resolved...

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

OK, if the ping issue was actually a problem with the connection i.e. you might not get a connection to the internet, then Sky would tell customers. but why mention that something MAY cause a problem when the majority of customers, and i mean extreme majority will not be affected by it.

To put out a bulletin about pings to ALL customers would cause hysteria, which is totally uncalled for. People who arent affected by high pings will think that there is an issue, when there isnt.

Many people have said they have no problems with pings on Interleaving, so not all people are affected

So by saying that Sky should be telling customers there is a problem is not justified.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast