Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

pings on sky broadband, high or low

This is a discussion on pings on sky broadband, high or low within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Sorry if I've missed this in the rest of the discussion, how can you tell if you are on fast ...

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: pings on sky broadband, high or low

Sorry if I've missed this in the rest of the discussion, how can you tell if you are on fast path or on interleaved??

I've had a look at the detailed stats for my rouer and can't see interleaved anywhere..

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Have a read of this and then post a thread in the Tech forum - asking for help

PLEASE READ FIRST: How to obtain and post router stats

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      I dont think i've missed the point. I personally think i've hit it head on. Its a bit like glueing meat to your face, its completly pointless asking for fast path from Sky. I'll explain why.

i work for sky, im a broadband tech, i would personally love it if i were to get fast path on my line, as im not bothered about download speeds. However, if i was to pester tier 3 in the same way that some people on here are about getting fast path, and I was able to get some nice tier 3 person to enable fastpath, That person could be risking their job. and im not joking about that.

Im not discouraging complaining. Complaining is a british institution, and apparently what most Britons do best. What I'm saying is, if your going to complain, do it in a subtle way. Why not make a proposal to Sky, showing the benefits of allowing fast path on lines.

If several people were to group together, in one group effort, i think Sky might take more notice. Be nice about it, dont always go threatening to cancel, and demanding compensation. Let sky offer it to you, rather than you demanding it. It makes for a better working situation.

you have to realise, that we are only following the rules laid down. if we break the rules, we risk being fired. if you were to get me on the phone, I would tell you exactly the same as what everyone else has said. I wouldnt even suggest opening a tier 3 ticket, as I know that it is pointless. Im sorry if that seems harsh, but it really is absolutely pointless having a Tier 3 ticket open. Its not gonna make a difference.
      Thankyou for your reply and risking your job by participating in this forum. We all realise why sky are implementing interleave as standard as a large number of customers would suffer from being on fastpath due to line length etc.

However customers with good lines or gamers who require lower latency at the expense of dl speeds should not be forced onto a service that does not provide what they want especially as sky do not advertise the fact that their bb is inter only.

I personally was moved from fast to inter and have noticed the difference, I have not threatened to leave sky or demanded compensation in the hope that sky will change their stance on this in the future. I have however explored the other options that are available and when push comes to shove will do whats best for me if sky dont change their stance on this.

Lets hope enough people on this forum join together and that sky listen to their customers

Dear Sky Broadband

cheers
      dave

m.barnes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

as mentioned on the other post. i have contacted sky now about ending my contract as my specific initial requests regarding sky's suitability for gaming have not been met.

i am also not willing to accept that i would have to "compensate Sky for ... costs suffered." as to do so with any significant charges would be unlawful at Common Law and recent Consumer regulations.

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

umm good luck with that. As there is not anything in the contract that states specifically the service can be used for gaming, then the fact you feel it is inadequate for gaming is negated.

NvG|Man0waR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: very nearby
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face Re: pings on sky broadband, high or low

Hi all!

Ive recently moved over to the SKy broadband MAX package! Wooo the joy of it! Was previously on a 2meg telewest cable connection, which in retrospect was so sweet! Like many of the people here v frsutrated for a number of reasons! Mostly the TERRIBLE game play. I play Call of Duty 2 at a very competitive level in one of the most popular clans on the net and since going to sky i can barely play at all. At first the connection was v poor, getting around 1meg dwnload and 700kbs upload @ speedtest.net and at this stage i had around 90-120 in my usual servers (where i used to get 20-35!) and absurd amounts of connection interupts and being kicked for packet loss etc etc!! YAY! Since then after fiddling with connections etc i got it up to around 6meg download and 800 odd upload (as cant connect straight to asdl split as modem is upstairs and also MUCH GRANDIOUS amounts of other cabling for the several phones and two sky tv's, when trying in the test socket got over 8meg download (Which was around what we should get! But still the damn connection interupts!). We set up our connection early as the sky broadband engineers arnt due till the 28th, therefore i know im not getting my maximum download at the mo but from my experience with the test socket i am still very annoyed. Ok i think could live with a ping of 50 as long as it was stable but what gets me is the damn connection interupts!!! and the general ping spikeyness and horridness! so unstable and twitchy its absurd!!! if any of you have played cod2 you will know how annoying this is, you run along kill a few people and then baaam! you suddenly start rewinding at it appears you were killed yesterday but you didnt realise! and the mor peope that join with higher pings the worse it gets! (ive also generally noticed a lot of players on line now have horrid 100plus pings, is this the new wave of sky users or is my sky connection causing me to see false pings, coz i swear it didnt used to be this bad) I am a hardcore gamer and this is very embarasing, i often just log of and sit there wondering what to now do with my life! Hopefully when the engineers come they can attatch an asdl faceplate to my main bt box and then run a SINGLE broadband cabledirect to my modem, but this will involve drilling holes etc, or running cable up the side of my house (will they do this?) Coz atm after testing the TEST socket i still got CI's so im blaming the small bit of old telephone cabling that goes upstairs, into which the modem/router is attatched (horrid little preconfigured beasty) So yes i know im rambling but if any of you get the jist and know any ways of getting rid of the CI's and getting my ping stable at a modest 40-50 i would be happy. Is there anything you can do in the router? (ive heard disabling something in the WAN settings, respond to ping etc) ive also done the dr tcp thingy, which gave slight boost in DOWNLOAD speed only. Overall im not too fussed as long as i get fairly good download speeds for my torrenting, but i just want some stability with my favourite online games, it seems like a con! they dont make you aware of this potential hazzard AT ALL!!!

Please advise the best you can, as once that engineer gets here im gonna baracade him in untill he fixes it! LOL or considering my experience with the test socket do you feel it is a problem aoutide my house? Because yes i hear of pople with high pings on this forum but no one saying they get CI's or erratic ping movememt (spikes)....

Please help its v depressing as all other in my house just browse and use msn so they think its fine but i KNOW it super screwed! Its just darn well not fair i say!

EMAIL me @ carmichael_gordon@yahoo.co.uk or XFIRE manowar84....all help appreciated!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA...stay calm :O breathe...
      Last edited by NvG|Man0waR; 22-04-07 at 03:03 PM.

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i've been blessed with 20ms pings to the server in london that i play on - however some days they are 50-70

i always ping bbc.co.uk first to see the current status

NvG|Man0waR is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: very nearby
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just to let you know i just sorted it, kinda,...unchecked the box 'Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port' under WAN setup tab, in my router setup page..now my ping is stable @ 50, im still getting occasional Connection Interupts's (push my ping up to 200+ for a brief moment) but considering how it was before this is a vast improvement, and hopefully when the engineer comes here he can clean up the line and make it even better! (I must say playing at 50 ping is not as smooth as it was previously but i still owned!) Is the slight judderyness due to the still semi-existant Connection Interupts, or the increased ping? as i feel the connection is still a bit wobbly...

Ping seems noral tho as i used to ping around 35...so +15 for the interleaving (grrrr) hate interleaving! LOL....hope they upgrade me to asdl2 soon!

Enjoying the download speeds!! -Just got 4 movies :P

But yes hint to any gamers uncheck that box....doesnt get your ping down but seems to help a lot with the CI's..will keep you posted..

P.S i used TCP optimeizer before and i was wondering whether i should revert this back to how it was originally as i feel this may have impacted upon my gaming, even though it is supposed to make your broadband better...any ideas?

So now my final mission is to eliminate the last remaining juddery horrid bits in my connection, and get it smooth @ 45-50, that would be ok 4 me as you can still play fairly well at that ping...as long as its a smooth connection life shall be dandy....so any suggestions...lemme know

CHEERS GUYS!

NvG|Man0waR

maxping is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Deleted

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield