Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Routers and IPv6! PLEASE HELP!!!

This is a discussion on Sky Routers and IPv6! PLEASE HELP!!! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; So I live in the UK if it makes a difference and have an ADSL2+ line coming into my house, ...

CrispyTheGoat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01621 78
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Routers and IPv6! PLEASE HELP!!!

So I live in the UK if it makes a difference and have an ADSL2+ line coming into my house, connected to that I have a Draytek Vigor 120 Modem that goes into a Draytek 2920n. Now my internet connection works perfectly with no complaints, however I also have two gaming consoles, the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One.

When I play both of these consoles they work fine on online multiplayer games, however Call of Duty Ghosts works fine on the Xbox 360, but returns "servers not available at this time" when trying to connect to online multiplayer on the One. I have partially figured it out for myself and spoke to Xbox support who have told me that most games on the Xbox One use IPv6. And I realise that is quite true as the 360 does not and when i plug in my old Sky 2504n pre-configured router it allows me to connect to CoD Ghots on the Xbox One. I questioned why and then saw that IPv6 is setup on the LAN configuration of my old Sky pre-configured router.

My question is, what setting can i obtain from my Sky router that would work on my new router and also do the Sky pre-configured routers just use a DHCPv6 client on the LAN or do they also use a tunneling protocol to transmit the IPv6 packets over an existing IPv4 connection on the WAN?

I would really appreciate any help as it has been driving me crazy.

If you need to see me current routers web interface to get an idea on what sort of setting I need, then an online web interface demo can be seen here:
      http://tw.draytek.com:12920/

Thanks in advance!

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: Sky Routers and IPv6! PLEASE HELP!!!

ipv6 is not used yet on sky allot of isps mostly uk ones have not moved over yet why i have no idea. theres nothing really you can do until isps start and implement this feature and expand it out.

CrispyTheGoat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01621 78
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Really what i am enquiring about is whether or not Skys router use some sort of tunneling protocol to transmit IPv6 packets over an IPv4 network and if that is not the case then what is the DHCPv6 server doing on the router?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I would be disgusted if I was told that the only way for a product was to work properly was if I had to use IPv6.

Ad Deadman points out, most ISPs in the UK have not yet started to use IPv6. Sure they should have made steps to switch over some time back and actually rolled it out by now, but they haven't.

Sky have updated the firmware on the 3 latest routers to support IPv6. I'm not sure about the older ones.

When they do roll it out we will cover it on this forum. Until then IPv4 is what you need to worry about.

IMHO both Sony and M$ have a terrible inability to work properly with UPnP. Their inability to work with many routers in a bane on the forums. There are lots of threads across not just SkyUser, but many other boards, where people are trying to get help to configure their routers so that the Xbox or Play Station will work properly.

This isn't just with one router model or one manufacturer.

This tells me that they are both incapable of designing something that works. It also tells me that they are unable to work with the router manufacturers in order to fix things.

Blaming the lack of IPv6 support is yet another cheap crack at passing the buck IMHO.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

do they also use a tunneling protocol to transmit the IPv6 packets over an existing IPv4 connection on the WAN?
      Windows PCs use the 'teredo tunneling pseudo-interface' to enable IP v4 to connect to IP v6. I would be surprised if the Xbox does not have a similar feature. Check the settings and see if it can be enabled. Having a router which supports IP v6 would make no difference if the ISP does not support it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.