Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Xbox 360 & Sky fibre hub.. Why so slow?

This is a discussion on Xbox 360 & Sky fibre hub.. Why so slow? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Just posted this on Digital Spy, but thought I'd give it a shot here too as people are more ...

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Xbox 360 & Sky fibre hub.. Why so slow?

Hi,

Just posted this on Digital Spy, but thought I'd give it a shot here too as people are more savvy!

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me out.. I've got an Xbox 360 connected wirelessly to a Sky hub with Sky fibre, the 360 is in the living room, the hub in the bedroom directly above. The connection is horrible on the 360, half the windows won't load, trying to connect to Netflix is almost impossible. The network test on the 360 works fine, the Apple TV on top of it works fine, the PS3 next to it works fine as does the Samsung TV it's connected to, it's just the 360 that works horribly. It's a later model 360 with built in wifi.. I did have the channel set to auto on the hub, but that was even worse, so I've gone back to manually selecting channel 1, that's all the messing around I've done so far, if anyone does have any tips or suggestions I'd be very grateful (Or is that greatful?).

I should add that, when playing online, COD for instance, the problem isn't apparent, which doesn't really help solve the issue.. Do I need to turn upnp off? Add the service? (Shrug)

TIA

2. Advertisement
      RADZ1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Xbox 360 & Sky fibre hub.. Why so slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
      Hi,

Just posted this on Digital Spy, but thought I'd give it a shot here too as people are more savvy!

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me out.. I've got an Xbox 360 connected wirelessly to a Sky hub with Sky fibre, the 360 is in the living room, the hub in the bedroom directly above. The connection is horrible on the 360, half the windows won't load, trying to connect to Netflix is almost impossible. The network test on the 360 works fine, the Apple TV on top of it works fine, the PS3 next to it works fine as does the Samsung TV it's connected to, it's just the 360 that works horribly. It's a later model 360 with built in wifi.. I did have the channel set to auto on the hub, but that was even worse, so I've gone back to manually selecting channel 1, that's all the messing around I've done so far, if anyone does have any tips or suggestions I'd be very grateful (Or is that greatful?).

I should add that, when playing online, COD for instance, the problem isn't apparent, which doesn't really help solve the issue.. Do I need to turn upnp off? Add the service? (Shrug)

TIA
      Have you tried giving your xbox a static ip or doing it in LAN ip set up in your router -

Just have your xbox on and hit the add button you should recognize your xbox by mac address, then put the ip in your dmz.

Lino likes this.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

That I have not tried, but I'll certainly give it a shot tonight.. Isn't having a DMZ server a bit of a security risk though? From what I've read?

Quote Originally Posted by RADZ1973 View Post
      Have you tried giving your xbox a static ip or doing it in LAN ip set up in your router -

Just have your xbox on and hit the add button you should recognize your xbox by mac address, then put the ip in your dmz.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Have you set up port forwarding on the hub as the XBox needs certain ports to operate properly. If this is done, you shouldn't need to put it in the DMZ.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No I have not.. Wouldn't really know what ports etc I'd need? While I can happily access the router, specific things like which ports etc are a bit of a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Have you set up port forwarding on the hub as the XBox needs certain ports to operate properly. If this is done, you shouldn't need to put it in the DMZ.

Thanks

Its pretty safe my ps3 is in a dmz as in the above picture. It will open all ports needed so may help with connection.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hrm.. Bummer.. The DMZ route doesn't seem to have worked.. Netflix will just sit there not doing anything beyond the splash screen, the "Social" tab just shows me a grey box with a spinning wheel in the middle. That's after adding the Xbox IP address to DMZ and rebooting both the router and the Xbox. I have noticed that on the "Additional settings" screen on the Xbox everything is on "Not set" that's PPPoE settings, username, Password, Service Name and in advanced settings Host Name and Alternate MAC address are also on "Not Set" would that make a difference? Let me see what Call of Duty does.. Bugger, 78meg update.. The download bar has just edged into the green and is sitting there, this is all part of the problem. SO annoying, especially with GTAV arriving in the next couple of days. If someone has some clues about port forwarding, I'd appreciate that. Or any other help actually, not wanting to be rude!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

To rule out a wireless problem can you temporary move the Xbox so you can connect it by ethernet.

The additional settings you see are not required.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Port forwarding is just the same as DMZ really just specific ports. Try putting some open dns servers in you xbox. 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 also watch the video below.

Lino likes this.

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I could potentially be the server you're connecting to. I can get full HD on a lot of services through my xbox, but when using the Crunchyroll app I only get two bars and sometimes one. This is because of the servers I was connecting to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast