Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

Xbox 360 & Sky fibre hub.. Why so slow?

This is a discussion on Xbox 360 & Sky fibre hub.. Why so slow? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Well my line has gone completely now, talking to Sky yesterday, the line was horribly crackly, their line checker was ...

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Xbox 360 & Sky fibre hub.. Why so slow?

Well my line has gone completely now, talking to Sky yesterday, the line was horribly crackly, their line checker was down, they called me back today to say that yes, there was a problem with the line and they're getting in touch with BT. I'm *hoping* that'll resolve the Xbox connection problems, I've swapped routers anyway (Sky sent me two, go figure), good thing I've got unlimited 3G, using the hotspot on the iPhone to connect the laptop.. Shh, don't tell EE..

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Have you set up port forwarding on the hub as the XBox needs certain ports to operate properly. If this is done, you shouldn't need to put it in the DMZ.
      Not for Netflix.etc you don't and TBH with UPNP it's rarely a requirement thesedays.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well this is just getting stupid now... BT have fixed the internet connection, so that's lovely, and using the information I got here..

Xbox Network Ports | Xbox 360 Network Ports | Xbox Live Network Ports - Xbox.com

And following the handy guide here Port forwarding - Setting up Port forwarding (use existing & set up custom services)

I've tried port forwarding, it's not really clear on that guide if I have to set both inbound and outbound services? I've just set the outbound services, also, none of the ports there were in the drop-down so I had to make "New ones", I've rebooted the xbox, but not the router and so far, no joy..

So, do I need to set both inbound AND outbound services on the router, and is it worth rebooting the router?

Any advice gratefully received!

Oh and the pigging Xbox keeps changing it's IP address.. That's not helping ANYTHING..

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unless you are seeing "Strict NAT" on the connection test or "NAT" related error messages in games you do NOT need to port forward upnp will take care of it for you.

You do not need to port-forward for outbound connections there is no firewall/filtering on the router for OUTBOUND connections at all, I think port 25 *may* be blocked in sky's network but that is all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

Lino (23-09-13)

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

upnp is on but the Xbox is as slow as <Removed>.. Might it be a channel problem? Got it set to auto at the moment, might see if there's a better manual setting..
      Last edited by Scubbie; 23-09-13 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Removed swear word

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
      upnp is on but the Xbox is as slow as <Removed>.. Might it be a channel problem? Got it set to auto at the moment, might see if there's a better manual setting..
      It might be but then it would be affecting everything else on the wireless as well.

It might simply be the xbox's wireless adaptor isn't that great or the location of the xbox means the antenna's don't get a decent signal quality.

kman28 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Banbridge (NIBB)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Can you connect the xbox by Ethernet to test whether wireless is the issue?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
      Sky Fiber 40/10 Connection - DL 39998 - UL 10000

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Oh and the pigging Xbox keeps changing it's IP address.. That's not helping ANYTHING..
      If you reserve the Xboxes address in the router, it should be given the same address each time it connects. If you are reserving ports for the Xbox it is imperative that it has a fixed address or will just not work. As its a fixed device you can also set its address in the Xbox interface, but if it is reserved in the router this should not really be necessary.

Have you had a look at this post, which although it refers to the Netgear V1 is very similar for any router.
      Setting up Xbox 360 and Netgear V1 router for Xbox Live

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12