Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Lag over xbox live

This is a discussion on Lag over xbox live within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Since I switched to Sky unlimited broadband most online games on xbox live have become unplayble due to lag. Street ...

moonwhistle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Lag over xbox live

Since I switched to Sky unlimited broadband most online games on xbox live have become unplayble due to lag. Street Fighter for instance runs really slow with huge input delay. This has happened in 2 different addresses as I brought the router / contract with me. There is no issue of anything else in the house using the bandwidth and the lag happens no matter what time of day I use it.

I use a wired connection between xbox and Sky SR101. I previously had BT broadband and that was perfect.

Is there any reason to assume that upgrading to sky fibre would provide a lagless connection?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Advertisement
      shakey1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: New Brancepeth NENP
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Re: Lag over xbox live

Quote Originally Posted by moonwhistle View Post
      Since I switched to Sky unlimited broadband most online games on xbox live have become unplayble due to lag. Street Fighter for instance runs really slow with huge input delay. This has happened in 2 different addresses as I brought the router / contract with me. There is no issue of anything else in the house using the bandwidth and the lag happens no matter what time of day I use it.

I use a wired connection between xbox and Sky SR101. I previously had BT broadband and that was perfect.

Is there any reason to assume that upgrading to sky fibre would provide a lagless connection?

Thanks in advance for any help.
      how long have you had it installed are you might be on dlm if not do you receve lag on a pc or computer ??

you can reset your xbox live connection on the xbox try that

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1980 View Post
      how long have you had it installed are you might be on dlm if not do you receve lag on a pc or computer ??

you can reset your xbox live connection on the xbox try that
      Several months at this address and the same at previous address. No problems over wireless or for any other internet use. The problem is exclusively with xbox live over the wired connection. I actually just asked sky to switch me to a gaming profile to see if that will help.

shakey1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: New Brancepeth NENP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

ive never had a problem myself

try this it may be a configuration in which case it will reset the connection to the xbox

Note Before you reset the Xbox 360 console's network settings, make sure that you write down the current settings in case you have to restore them later. If you are using a secured wireless network, you will also need your wireless network password.

Press the Guide button on your controller, select Settings, and select System Settings.
      Select Network Settings.
      Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network when the network list is displayed.

select Configure Network.
      On the Additional Settings tab, select Restore to Factory Defaults. When prompted, select Yes, Restore to Factory Defaults.
      This resets the console's network settings only, and not other settings.

Turn off your console.
      Turn on your console.
      Wireless only: You will receive a message to configure wireless settings. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect to your wireless network.
      Now test your Xbox LIVE connection:

Press the Guide button on your controller, then select Settings, select System Settings, and select Network Settings.
      Select the name of your Wireless Network, or select Wired Network for a wired connection.
      Select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.
      Last edited by shakey1980; 18-08-13 at 02:21 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I will try this. Thank you for your posting.

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Info is in my sig. Can you please provide your current router stats, cheers.

RADZ1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Thanks

Have you tried giving your xbox a static ip address then putting that into the dmz on your router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1980 View Post
      ive never had a problem myself

try this it may be a configuration in which case it will reset the connection to the xbox

Note Before you reset the Xbox 360 console's network settings, make sure that you write down the current settings in case you have to restore them later. If you are using a secured wireless network, you will also need your wireless network password.

Press the Guide button on your controller, select Settings, and select System Settings.
      Select Network Settings.
      Select Wired Network or the name of your wireless network when the network list is displayed.

select Configure Network.
      On the Additional Settings tab, select Restore to Factory Defaults. When prompted, select Yes, Restore to Factory Defaults.
      This resets the console's network settings only, and not other settings.

Turn off your console.
      Turn on your console.
      Wireless only: You will receive a message to configure wireless settings. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect to your wireless network.
      Now test your Xbox LIVE connection:

Press the Guide button on your controller, then select Settings, select System Settings, and select Network Settings.
      Select the name of your Wireless Network, or select Wired Network for a wired connection.
      Select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.
      I did this and it didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by itype View Post
      Info is in my sig. Can you please provide your current router stats, cheers.
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 19605 kbps 1175 kbps
      Line Attenuation 18.0 dB 10.0 dB
      Noise Margin 6.3 dB 9.9 dB

Do you need the more detailed stats than this?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RADZ1973 View Post
      Have you tried giving your xbox a static ip address then putting that into the dmz on your router.
      I did that at my last address and it didn't help. Everything worked perfectly until I changed to sky broadband. Apparently as of today I have been changed to a "gaming profile" whatever that entails. I can't see any improvement yet.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You will not get a completely lagless connection, but ping rates are general much better on fibre. Single figures if you get on fast path and middle twenties if you are on interleave.

What ping rate do you get from your PC? Open a Command Prompt a type ping bbc.co.uk see what you get.

It seems to me if you are getting a good result with your PC and a bad one with the Xbox, changing the line profile is not going to make much of a difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RADZ1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Thanks

Going on the gamer profile will give you lower ping as isitme stated above im sure what it does is set your max delay from 16 to 8 but you will lose a little d/l spped. Now when i was on ADSL i asked for this and it took at least 5 different advisers to actually put my profile on the gaming one. If you have tried the DMZ route make sure UPNP is disabled in your xbox as it might conflict with DMZ. Another thing to try is changing your DNS servers on your xbox use namebench(https://code.google.com/p/namebench/) to attain your best servers. What game is it your getting lag issues with on your xbox ?.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast