Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wii U randomly dropping connection

This is a discussion on Wii U randomly dropping connection within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; So, a few weeks ago, we switched ISPs to Sky. Recently, Iíve noticed that my Wii U seems to disconnect ...

Mahzes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wii U randomly dropping connection

So, a few weeks ago, we switched ISPs to Sky. Recently, Iíve noticed that my Wii U seems to disconnect from the Internet both frequently and randomly.

However, everything else (laptop, 3DS, phone, 360, Roku) isnít having this problem at all; itís literally just the Wii U, so I donít think itís a problem with the Internet itself. Similarly, the Wii U never had this problem (aside from the odd random disconnect due to network errors) on my old ISP (Virgin), so I donít think thereís an issue with the console, either.

Admittedly, the Sky hub is a bit further away than our old router used to be (itís in a different room on another floor, whereas before it was two rooms away on the same floor), but again, everything else is still able to connect just fine without interruption, even when moved further from the hub than the Wii U is. Also, when checking the connection in the Wii U settings, itís still getting decent (if not quite full) signal.

The only thing I can think of is that we might need to try switching Wi-Fi channels on the hub, but we canít do this just yet since it would require a restart, and Sky have told us to leave it running for ten days straight to settle in. Iíll give this a shot once I can and fingers crossed itíll work, but in the meantime;

Have any of you had this same problem of random disconnects? Any ideas on what the cause might be, and how to stop it?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Wii U randomly dropping connection

I think that this is the key fact that you have mentioned:

Quote Originally Posted by Mahzes View Post
      Admittedly, the Sky hub is a bit further away than our old router used to be (it’s in a different room on another floor, whereas before it was two rooms away on the same floor), but again, everything else is still able to connect just fine without interruption, even when moved further from the hub than the Wii U is.
      Since everything else appears to work well, I think that the signal strength is going to be an issue.

Is it possible to use the Wii U closer to the router to see if this resolves the issue?

If this is the case then we can suggest a host of solutions which can help you improve things.

One thing that I did do was to check the specifications of the Wii U. Being a new device, it does have a WiFi n adaptor. I don't know the specific details, but it is known that the 'WiFi n' specification actually covers quite a range of specs. However an important factor is that it has a stronger signal than something which works to the WiFi g specification.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for replying!

I've asked this on some Nintendo forums as well, and one person said they had these same problems, but that switching the channel of the Wi-Fi solved the problem for them.

Moving the Wii U closer to the router isn't really possible; moving the router closer to the Wii U would be possible, but fairly impractical.

I can't do much either way at the moment since I can't do anything which would require restarting or switching off the router, so I'm really just gathering as much information as I can in the meantime. Once I'm free to switch it off, I'll try switching the channels, if that doesn't solve anything then I'll have to enquire further!

Thanks

Ahh... I wasn't suggesting that you move on a permanent basis to be nearer the router, or move the router at this stage. I was only asking if for a short term test you could use the Wii U closer to the router and from there be able to confirm if it is a signal strength issue.

As for changing the channels, left on Auto, the Sky Hub will find the best channel in your specific location. The Sky Hub also changes the channel which it uses if the channel it is on becomes busy and another is available.

If you do need to manually set it, then you can do this at anytime as I do not think that the router does not need to reboot. I am guessing that you are in the initial training period, hence your reluctance to switch off the router at the moment.

The use of inSSIDer is recommended if you really do need to find a better channel. Remember to wonder around your whole home so that you can find the best channel out of 1, 6, 11 and 13 to use. Remember though that this tool only finds the routers that are broadcasting, not how much traffic each generates.

inSSIDer for Home – Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I can definitely try a short-term move at some point, it might have to wait until Sunday though! I can try bringing the Wii U downstairs and connecting it to the living room TV (which is right next to the router)! The problem is, since the connection drops at random, I might need to try playing online for a while to see if and when it does!

Yes, we've been asked to leave it on for ten days so they can test everything and let the connection settle/ stabilize; we already did this once, but weren't quite getting the speeds we should have (maybe due to one or two instances of it being switched off during the initial ten-day period beyond our control, - i.e. power cut!), so they asked us to do it again.

How would I actually go about changing the channel? If it doesn't need the router to reboot in order to do so, I can give that a try sooner rather than later.

What is inSSIDer, and how does it work? I had a quick look, is it just a tool to analyse nearby connections in more detail? Why are 1, 6, 11 and 13 the only channels you've listed?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions!

Thanks

Very quick answer as I'm gonna be busy elsewhere for a few hours:

Please read this article about the Sky Hub Wireless settings: Changing the Wireless settings

Do download and install inSSIDer just to see what things are like. If you put it on a Laptop, you can also see how string the signal is where you use the Wii U.

WiFi channels overlap neighbouring channels, so 1 overlaps 2 & 3. 2 overlaps 1, 3, 4. By sticking with 1, 6, 11 and 13, everyone can have the best signal and least overlapping. Please check out Wikipadia for a better explanation and diagram.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay, after I changed the channel to 11, the problems seemed to calm down, although I've not actually been using the Wii U very much lately so it's somewhat hard to tell, given how sporadic the connection drops seemed to be.

Today, however, they seemed to come back with an absolute vengeance. As per your suggestion, I tried moving the Wii U closer to the hub and it seemed to make a big difference (again, I can't say with 100% certainty due to the erratic nature of the disconnects). Having taken the Wii U back upstairs again, I've oddly found that lying the console flat seems to help (I was standing it on its side before); although this may just be a coincidence, I'll have to wait and see.

Any further advice that might solve this if it is indeed a signal strength issue?