Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

thinking of going to gamer profile/ speeds plummeted then you must read this

This is a discussion on thinking of going to gamer profile/ speeds plummeted then you must read this within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; At my old address for the first year of sky I was very happy with my 30-50 ping and speeds ...

nathan360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: urmston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

thinking of going to gamer profile/ speeds plummeted then you must read this

At my old address for the first year of sky I was very happy with my 30-50 ping and speeds of 8 mbps down and 0.8 up. Then as I wasn't aware my line was being tested and like a dummy unplugged my router several times a day. So of course skys testing results shown bad speeds so I was synced at lower speeds. As I was only recently aware of my problem and as a gamer I got them to put me on it. Now here's my opinion on gamer profile. Only switch if you have bad ping I.e 3 bar connection. Moving to gamer profile will sacrifice your upload and download speeds. My upload went from 0.8 to 0.4-0.5. Due to this I was getting booted from games when I was chosen as host due to migration. Like I said if ur connection was fine then went bad you most prop only made the mistake I did so ring up and ask if u can get ur line put to default state when u first got sky broadband and ur internet should be fine. If not then it will be worth it moving to gamer profile. ( me personally think this testing stuff creates a lot of issues). But now at my new address my internet is 30-45 ping and 15 down and 0.9- 1.2 Mbps up. And my profile is as normal. I suggest to check my sky for testing and try to keep your router on always. I posted it this long because of the frustration I went through and don't want other people to do the same. Hope I helped you.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: thinking of going to gamer profile/ speeds plummeted then you must read this

Sky updated their DLM Software a year ago (Easter 2012) and have continued to update it since.

Where as previously you could not get a connection with a Noise Margin less than 7dB, provided your line can support it, the DLM software will reduce this down to 3dB. In many cases it will settle at a higher figure.

If a line is set manually, then the best that can be achieved is 7dB.

As a direct result, most of the time now we no longer recommend a manual setting, this includes for the Gamer's Profile as the DLM software often provides for the best pings on a line as well.

For the more serious gamers, FTTC or FTTP is the way forward.

However be aware that some areas are being temporarily swamped with too many clients on the backhaul. This can lead to temporary slowness at peak times. If this is happening, check Sky's site for information in the Service Status in your area:

Sky Service Status

Sky Help and Support | Service Status

If your exchange isn't listed, please collect some data (tools are available for this) and you can show Sky who can then tackle the issue. You will need to show that it is happening over a few days.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: thinking of going to gamer profile/ speeds plummeted then you must read this

Your speed was only slower due to having someone set your line who doesnt know what they are doing