Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

noob question re: UPnP

This is a discussion on noob question re: UPnP within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I assigned my ps3 the static ip address of (used to end in 0.03) a while ago & entered ...

gymno Guest
      Broadband ISP:
      Sky TV:

noob question re: UPnP

I assigned my ps3 the static ip address of (used to end in 0.03) a while ago & entered that address as the default dmz server, under WAN settings in the router.
      I also disabled UPnP on my ps3, thinking it's not needed when dmz is set up & can only interfere with things.

I was just having a nose around my router settings & i came across 'UPnP Portmap Table'.
      In the table was the following:

Active - Active
      Protocol - UDP
      Int. Port - 3074
      Ext. Port - 3074
      IP Address -

Sorry if i'm missing something obvious here, but should my ps3 NOT be listed in this table?
      The text to the right on the portmap table page suggests only UPnP enabled devices should be.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: noob question re: UPnP

I think what is happening is that you still have UPnP enabled on your router. The router sees the PS3 as being UPnP compatible so sticks it in its table, irrespective of whether it is actually turned on in the PS3. If you disable it in the router, the map should disappear. You might get problems with it and portforwarding but I don't think UPnP will cause any problems if you are using the DMZ.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Broadband ISP:
      Sky TV:

Re: noob question re: UPnP

Wow, thankyou for the extremely quick response!

Yes, i left UPnP enabled in the router settings, as i wasn't sure if the sky box needed / preferred it.
      Infact, my sky box is the only other internet connected device i own.
      I just started a download using the catch-up service & it didn't show up in the table after clicking refresh, so assume the stb's don't use UPnP?

So, do you think it'll be fine to disable UPnP on the router also?
      Or would it be preferable to revert my ps3 to having UPnP enabled & leave it at that?

None of this is to get around any problems i've had btw, i'm just looking to get my set up as good as possible so i can batten it all down & forget about it

The trouble for me, having scoured the web on this subject, is half of the advice suggests UPnP may interfere with the fowarding of ports as that's what it's designed to do, but it isn't needed with dmz as all ports will already be open.
      The other half suggests UPnP should be left enabled on the ps3 but doesn't mention the router. & a long standing moderators' dmz guide on the playstation forum are 2 examples of this conflicting advice.