Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Not Assigning correct IP for Xbox360

This is a discussion on Not Assigning correct IP for Xbox360 within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, Im having a problem. Everything with my xbox and sky internet was working fine, the last 2 weeks ...

chips85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Not Assigning correct IP for Xbox360

Hi guys, Im having a problem.
      Everything with my xbox and sky internet was working fine, the last 2 weeks i have had connection problems but that happens on and off.
      BUT my main problem is that I was using my Xbox Live account the other night to watch LoveFilm and it was working fine, and this morning I wake up to use it again and
      my xbox wont connect to the router.. Its plugged via an ethernet cable and each time I test my connection through my xbox it i get a connection error. but i have never had a problem with it befor with the ethernet cable but when I use the xbox on the wifi it all works fine and I have no problems using XboxLive.

I have a Sagem Router its about 2 years old but again never had a problem with it till now with my xbox. I have tried port forwarding and it connects to the router but no to the net?

could any of you share your help on this matter please

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Not Assigning correct IP for Xbox360

check cable connection with a pc or laptop maybe fault with cable

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thats the thing I have tried 4 different cables with the xbox to the router and still the same problem :/

But thanks for the reply

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I take it you gave the Xbox a fixed address? If you did, did you also reserve that address for it in the router. If you didn't the address could be given to another device and you would get an IP conflict. Should this be the case, find out what has been allocated the Xbox address, switch it off and connect the Xbox. When it connects go into the router settings and reserve its address in the Address Reservation list. You will not have the problem again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hes Isitme! thanks for the reply I tried that but it doesnt seem to work :S
      I can connect fine with wifi and i get a good IP address, but then when i plug in the ethernet cable I get the same IP as when it was connected
      through Wifi but it doesnt connect to xbox live atall... do you think its something to do with the router?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Make sure the wireless is disconnected on your Xbox. Plug the ethernet cable into the router and power cycle the router by switching the power off for a minute then on again. Check what address has been allocated and if it works.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.