Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Server and LAN Gaming Problems

This is a discussion on Server and LAN Gaming Problems within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm wanting to host a SRCDS (Source Dedicated Server) on my network but I'm having troubles getting players to connect. ...

edoowinnie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Server and LAN Gaming Problems

I'm wanting to host a SRCDS (Source Dedicated Server) on my network but I'm having troubles getting players to connect. I have forwarded the relevant ports on the router's security but nothing seems to be working. I've also noticed that connecting computers through a LAN server is not possible also.

I had no trouble hosting through my previous BT Homehub and did not require networking programs like Hamachi to host, so I'm wondering what has went wrong.

My router is the SAGEMCOM F@ST2504n.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Server and LAN Gaming Problems

It should work if the ports have been correctly forwarded.

Have a look at this guide to make sure?

Sky User - How to port forward on a Sky Sagem F@ST2504n Router

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There have been a lot of reports/complaints about the 2504N's inability to handle port forwarding all I can suggest is that you reset the router and use Simple Port Forwarding to set it up. This way there is no chance of making a mistake. Download Simple Port Forwarding 3.5.0 Free - Will make forwarding ports on your router as easy as a few clicks - Softpedia

If that does not work you could try putting your BT Hub in the DMZ of the Sky router and running your server through that.

Finally you may want to consider replacing your Sky router with the BT Hub. This is against Sky's T & Cs but they turn a blind eye to it. The Hub would have to be flashed to allow this, but there is plenty of help to allow you to do this.

With the Sky router you cannot access a server within your LAN with an external address only from its internal address. It can be done but I believe it requires alterations to the Hosts file.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

When you say a hub needs to be "flashed," what do you mean precisely?

Also, thanks for the advice, I'll attempt these and get back if they're successful.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When you say a hub needs to be "flashed," what do you mean precisely?
      The BT Hub has special firmware which locks it down to BT lines, just as the Sky routers are locked to Sky lines. To be of any use with another ISP they have to be 'flashed' with different firmware. Until fairly recently this could only be done using a soldering iron, but fortunately this is not now the case. This is the best site I know which deals with this - PsiDOC.com

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I see. I think we ditched the old home hub a while back unfortunately, so that may not be an option for now.

Also used the Port Forwarding software you provided and, while I cannot fault the program at all, (Seriously, such a useful program!) it still didn't work. Will consult Valve's Dev wiki for more info but may consider getting a new router. I'm in no rush, though.

Thanks for all the advice, anyway.