Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extremely frustrating latency fluctuations whilst playing 'League of Legends'

This is a discussion on Extremely frustrating latency fluctuations whilst playing 'League of Legends' within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've had to repost this, since my last post throws an error whenever I try to visit it. So, my ...

Britin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01793
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Extremely frustrating latency fluctuations whilst playing 'League of Legends'

I've had to repost this, since my last post throws an error whenever I try to visit it.

So, my problem is as follows;

For the past four to five weeks (Since I started playing the game mentioned in the title) I've had no packet loss, lag or disconnections at all. I've had a solid 40-50 latency (MS) and had no problems playing as such.
      Alas, approx. four to five days ago I've come across horrible fluctuations in my latency. It is displayed ingame, and while it sits at 40-50, it'll suddenly shoot up to 100, then 150, 200, 300, eventually 500 and I'm completely disconnected. I've never had problems like this before. Please note that I play on a European server and always have, without issue.

Here are some stats, please request others if there's any other information that'd be of help to diagnosing this situation.

pingtest result - terrible as you can see (Never was before this issue arrived)
      http://www.pingtest.net/result/57306295.png

Tracert bbc.co.uk: imgur: the simple image sharer
      Pinging bbc.co.uk: imgur: the simple image sharer

Router stats:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7611 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.5 dB 23.1 dB
      Noise Margin 6.7 dB 14.4 dB

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Extremely frustrating latency fluctuations whilst playing 'League of Legends'

Nothing? :l

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Extremely frustrating latency fluctuations whilst playing 'League of Legends'

Ever thought it may be the server end that's having the issues? Might be worth questioning the host

Also, are you using WiFi to game? If so, that could also be contributing to the problem
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Ever thought it may be the server end that's having the issues? Might be worth questioning the host

Also, are you using WiFi to game? If so, that could also be contributing to the problem
      I've been in contact with Riot (proprietors of League of Legends) and they insist it's not server side. Also notice my pings to bbc.co.uk, still terrible

flamey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EACOL
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Hi, it's a sky network issue at hop3 on your trace. Report it directly to sky over the phone, you will most likely need to be escalated to CST as first line probably won't know what you are on about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flamey View Post
      Hi, it's a sky network issue at hop3 on your trace. Report it directly to sky over the phone, you will most likely need to be escalated to CST as first line probably won't know what you are on about.
      Thanks for the information I'll give them a call

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

For reference, Sky do deliberately have a delay when transferring from the Sky network to the global network - this is designed to work this way and has been since the Easynet days

Hope 4 shows the Overlay network point and this tends to be where slight hold ups occur but it can't be changed
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

flamey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EACOL
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I understand what you're saying IWNTE, however 100-300ms spikes at a node are not really a 'slight' hold-up in this specific case especially when they only occur in peak times. Hell, I could pull 110ms on my diamond 56k back in 1999.

Having experienced this myself last year and jumping through hoops to get it fixed I have determined that most of the time its a hardware issue due to the fact throughput doesn't decrease but the load at the node is delaying packets and as a result increasing latency.

danshi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

i have the same problem, i wrote many letters to sky, but they just gave some retarded answers like: try to restart your modem...

have you solved the problem? if you call sky they rally fix it?

Xpipe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I have the exact same issue. The last 4-5 weeks on League of Legends are almost unplayable with spikes up to 600 ms every minute lasting for 5-10 sec each. I have been in contact with their server admins several times and they assure me its not their end.