Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MW3 & Sky b'band

This is a discussion on MW3 & Sky b'band within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello folks...having been pointed in this direction, I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable people can offer me some advice/assistance. Here ...

Darren1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

MW3 & Sky b'band

Hello folks...having been pointed in this direction, I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable people can offer me some advice/assistance.

Here is hopefully all the info you need, if not just ask.

I have Sky Unlimited (20mb, although I only get just over 6mb) and have a Sagem router (can't find the model no.). All I can tell you is that it's black and looks like this one:

http://www.autochron.co.uk/images/sk...s%20router.jpg

From accessing the router it appears that is is based on 'g' technology as ity says 'mode: 54g'.

I live in a 3 storey town house on a new build development so all of the cabling is brand new. The router was on the ground floor and my PC and PS3 are on the middle floor and connect to the router wirelessly. According to Speedtest, on the PC I get 6.05mb down, 0.65mb. On ping test I get a ping of 35ms, jitter is 1ms and 0% packet loss. On the PS3 I get 5.5mb down and 226kb up (taken from the PS3 Network Settings>Internet Connection Settings' menu).

With that arrangement my connection to MW3 is poor. In 90% of the games I play I get a 3 bar connection and in 10% I get a 4 bar. Very rare that I ever get 1 or 2 bar unless playing Americans! With 3 bar connections I struggle to go positive and I see the enemy like a second after they have seen me. This takes all the fun out of the game. After the last patch came out, 1.07 the connection was spot on for the first three days. Since then it's been awful. One game I went 9-31 (with 10 UK based players) and then the following game I was magically able to shoot 29 people....this was in a different lobby with more non-UK players than UK players. The connectino is so inconsistant its unbelievable!

I've tried all sorts of 'tricks' and 'tweaks' such as downloading/streaming movies in the background whilst playing MW3, adjusting th MTU size, buying homeplugs etc. I even phoned Sky about the problem (this was a couple of weeks after the game was released) and they improved my connection as there were some faults on the line. However none of this has made any obvious difference to the quality and conistancy of the connectino I get to the game.

So today I decided to physically hardwire my PS3 to the router, which took some fiddling. I did before and after speed/ping tests on the PC and the results were pretty much identical. The download speed on the PS3 increased to 5.6mb, but the u/l speed doubled to 508kb.

I then played a couple of solo games on team death match. I got to the game launch screen, hit 'select' and everyone went to 3 or bars....me....I went to 2 bars and figured I may be host. the game didn't play to bad but I was tempted to quit quarter of the way in to see if I was host, but decided not to. Got to the halfway point and my connection status increased to 3 bars and everyone dropped to 3 as well and the game played the same. Second game of TDM and the same thing happened.

Then decided to revert back to wireless and checked the u/l speed....it had dropped to 444kb. Played a couple fo TDM and every game was three bars.

However, what I did notice was that even with 2 or 3 bar connections I was still able to pull out 1.5-2.0 kdr. I know I couldn't have done that in every game if I was partied-up with 4 or more friends.

The strange thing I don't get is the ping results I get in relation to the ping at which I connect to games at. On the P, ping test tells me it is 35ms with 1ms jitter and 0% packet loss. No matter whether the PS3 is hard wired or wireless, I will only connect to games when the ping search got to <100ms. I don't understand why?

I hear of people on Sky who have a similar arrangement to me, yet they get 4 bar connections 70%-80% of the time with 3 bar connections the remainder.

I'm hoping the good folk on hear can suggest some settings and options to swing the connection quality back in my favour. Would the Sky wireless 'n' router help?

I've taken a range of screenshots of sdifferent pages when I access the router page on the internet, so if you need to see anything just let me know.

I look forward to hearing your responses and this is driving me mad and if it continues like this the game will end up on eBay, lol!

Thanks in advance.
      Darren

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: MW3 & Sky b'band

all i can say is allot of people have issues with cod on-line its a common problem my friend if you could post ya stats from your router which could help simply log in using 192.168.0.1 use admin then sky for default. i play black ops and on good players i get 3 or 4 bars depending on what other connections are like.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. What stats in particular do you need? The ones under the 'router status' tab? If so, here they are:

ADSL Firmware Version: A2pB023o.d20h
      Modem Status: Up
      DownStream Connection Speed: 7007
      UpStream Connection Speed: 796
      VPI :0
      VCI: 40

I know all online games, especially COD, are prone to connection issues. But when I play with a group/party of people they always have a 4 bar connection yet I'm the only one with 3 bars...and I'm not host!

Thanks

the stats of the speed your getten yea those are the ones thats fine as for what your getten dear oh dear

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've just done a 'tracer route' as someone suggested in another thread and these are the results of that:

C:\Users\Home>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms myrouter.home [192.168.0.1]
      2 23 ms 25 ms 23 ms 176.24.23.62
      3 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms 10.245.181.17
      4 35 ms 39 ms 38 ms 89.200.131.185
      5 34 ms 34 ms 33 ms 212.58.238.189
      6 52 ms 205 ms 147 ms 212.58.238.129
      7 34 ms 34 ms 33 ms virtual-vip-231.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Home>

Anything unusual??? And why the 'dear oh dear' comment?

Thanks

sorry didnt mean anything buy it darren you could try putting your ps3 in dmz mode its risky but i have done it and you get a much better online play

Exchange:
      Thanks

Here are the stats from the 'show statistics' option on the router page:

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 3:56:55
      ADSL Link Downstream 7007 kbps
      Upstream Connection Speed 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0db downstream 24.3 db upstream
      Noise Margin 6.4 db downstream 14.9 db upstream

Exchange:
      Thanks

My PS3 is in the routers DMZ

EDIT: I'm particularly intrigued to know why I connect to games only when it gets to <100ms ping when clearly my ping is far lower and I should be connecting to games <50ms or at the very least <75ms????

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Forget all that, just get yourself a pair of HomePlugs.

Connect your PS3 & PC via an Enthernet Switch to the HomePlug & you will have connection equal to a wired connection to the router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Got them, tried that and still get a rubbish connection!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast