Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband Gaming issues

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Gaming issues within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello people sky will no longer help me so im here to ask for some much needed help so heres ...

mad_max926 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Broadband Gaming issues

Hello people sky will no longer help me so im here to ask for some much needed help so heres the information my broadband is from sky but it is a bt line so plz ignore what evers in my profile. I live in a town house we have a lot of extensions however i have recently had a adsl v10 fitted and have noticed some improvement but gaming is awful and i believe my ping rates are causing my issues so here some information to hopefully help some one tell me whats going wrong.

router stats:

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 71:19:49
      PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp TimeWANPPPoA11834751390886014246737669:01:31LAN223 000071:19:49WLAN16798991543395069755277571:19:22AD SL LinkDownstreamUpstreamConnection Speed8128 kbps448 kbpsLine Attenuation17.0 db9.5 dbNoise Margin9.9 db29.0 dbPoll Interval: (secs)

ping test on my computer to bbc.co.uk average 57ms

speed test to sittingbourn:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1671358831.png

speed test to maidstone where i live:

These tests were taken one after the other i notice when playing online games with my local friends from maidstone the connection is awful just like the ping test shows.

I have had a qualified telephone engineer to my house and he confirms my wiring is sweet internally.

I have requested fast path from sky but they wont give it to me and are starting to behave extremely difficult towards me which is hell disappointing because i was origninally very impressed with the customer service. My mum has been a customer with sky tv since 1989.

Any who, my lines apparewntly ok inside the house the adsl v10 did make a huge difference to my download speed however its really low in the above tests i did get almost 7mb download the other day.

What else do you recommend i can try?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Sky Broadband Gaming issues

You are on Sky BB Connect. This service is not controlled in the same way by Sky as their Unlimited & Home Lite products BT Wholesale (BTW) or BT Openreach (BTO) (I'm not sure which of the two).

In fairness this is not ever going to improve a great deal. You are subjected to BTW's policy of throttling your connection speed after ~4pm to 11pm weekdays & weekends.

Essentially you can continue to subscribe to the Connect package; keep your eyes open to see if Fibre is coming to your exchange and move to Sky's Fibre package (if & when it is released); change to another ISP.

Take a look at SamKnows to see what is happening at your exchange:

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for your reply so what happens if we switch back to bt do you think they can improve it? im not bothered about my speeds just the ping well i doubt they are gonna rip up my road and ever put cable in? the thing is about 2yr ago the interent was fine.

i never ever have a full connection during online gaming

Thanks

Personally I would never recommend BT to anyone, but that is due to the poor way in which I was treated by them.

Whilst they are owned by BT, PlusNet are getting good reviews at the moment.

Ultimately if you have any LLU providers in your exchange, which is why I posted the link to SamKnows, they will be able to offer you the best package.

You are relatively close to the exchange (probably a line length of 850-900m) so you should expect above 19mb on an ADSL2+ line through an LLU provider or through someone else if your exchange as BT's 21CN equipment.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You have got about the best connection possible with Connect. Most of your problems are probably down to throttling and exchange contention. This can slow down connections considerably during school holidays especially.

Go here and do several tests at different times of the day - Test Result these can be submitted to Sky as proof that your connection is not performing properly.

Best option is to find another ISP, especially if your connection is used mainly for gaming.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok thanks to you both the problem is i dont quite understand that sam knows or what ever a llu is sorry for my dumbness

Exchange:
      Thanks

wow look at that its take the p

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You are in the peak time, so throttling is really getting a grip

Put your exchange name/phone number in the box and look at the list on the right hand side. The ISPs mention there are LLU suppliers.
      http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Click the SamKnows link above. Type in your postcode and you will find the exchange that you are connected to.

Once you have done this, post the link to the exchange which you are connected to and we can confirm your options.