Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hello all, new and i need your help with gaming!

This is a discussion on Hello all, new and i need your help with gaming! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all this will be a little long winded and im hoping some of you will bare with me a ...

mad_max926 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Hello all, new and i need your help with gaming!

Hi all this will be a little long winded and im hoping some of you will bare with me a read through my story and hopefully some one can help me out.

Ok so i moved with my mum and dad + sister to a new house around 8yr this was a newly built housing estate, we were customers with bt broadband and i would always get a brillaint connection and never had an issue.

3yrs on the estate had filled up with new homeowners around 250 houses may be give or take a few more or less. Anyway started to notice the connection was extrememly poor i moved out for a while but moved back in and it had got much much worse, playing games likes cod halo etc, even when playing boxing games which is 1 on 1 the round timer was going down extremly slowly and punches were almost in slow motion. i did a speed test and was 0.90mb download and 0.3 upload.

After a lot of phone calls to bt and no improvement we moved to sky broadband i would say this was sometime last year.

I noticed a small improvement with sky and went through a lot of tests and help over the phone still though the connection is not good. im a farely decent gamer and spend a lot of time on the ps3 however im finding a lot of the time oppents have the upper ahnd being able to shoot me before i have come round a corner or if im hiding behind it. its just unlegite and doesn't feel at all right compared to when playing at friends house find it impossible to win a knife fight on cod mw3

i have got a 3bar connection in game and the maximum is 4 bar I NEVER GET A FULL CONNECTION, however after visiting my friends recently who has virigin fibre optic super fast broadband i realised just how bad my internet actually is. my internet in compariosn to virgin was like when we first moved into the house there wasn't much difference and it would be nice to get back to being able to enjoy the playstation rather chucking it out the window.

i live in maidstone kent, when using speedtester.net i get nearly 5mb download, but still 0.3 upload my ping i believe is the problem, when testing on a server in maidstone local to me i can expect 35-55 ping and anywhere further than that the ping is gettin much much higher when tester towards america it is generally around 150. i found that when playing online 7ms ping games were the best for me i never have ever got in a 50ms ping game. recently i cant even get in a 75ms and is always 100+ no matter how much game searching i do. it always makes me play against french people not that theres anything wrong with that

we are using the sagem router that has the golf ball effect dimples, the master sockect has been connected to the 2nd floor and is in my bedroom. i believe there may be some wiring faults in my house not related to the master socket but thats just a guess.

im not all that good with computers and dont know much about the internet what do you suggest i do or can check? we have microfilters in all rooms. would sky send a technician to my house ? i dont mind paying?

also to add the customer service and support i have had from sky has been extremely helpful, they changed my server or connection to one that was less crowded , and tried putting me on a gaming account but this caused disruptions in the line and i kept disconnecting.

like i said internet at my house used to be faultless what could of happened?
      ps soz for the rambling hope you can make some sense out of it, anyways going back to a bit of modern warfare 3.........sigh connection is a poop shoot

thanks for reading and darn this has probably already been covered

2. Advertisement
      boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

Re: Hello all, new and i need your help with gaming!

post your router stats on here by logging in to the router: http://192.168.0.1
      and we might be able to help you get your ping times back to normal so your gaming will be smooth again.

Exchange:
      Thanks

i cant remeber the pastcode is it admin and whats the user?

Thanks

There is a profile I can think of which may be perfect for your line.

modulation: G.DMT

4608k down
      864k up

Phone, ask to be put on this profile.

Thanks

username: admin
      password: sky

Router statistics is what you will need to click.
      bottom of the page

Exchange:
      Thanks

hey boothy i have managed to get in my router what do you what me to do click show staticstics and eky in the data manually into the forum? its not data that should be kept secure?

Thanks

Yeah just copy and paste it in the here it only shows your speed down your line not IP which needs to be kept secure.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

hows that look to you, im gettin all excited that someone may actualli be able to solve my problems

Thanks

Well, your line is short, meaning you should achieve some good speeds. but your only getting a 7Mbps sync with no room for improvement. Your SNR is low on the downstream which means you will not be able to get any more speed until you improve your line, where do you have the router plugged in? Try it in the master socket if it is connected to an extension.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast