Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky BB poor speeds ,so engineer number 6 on his way Monday , YES 6

This is a discussion on Sky BB poor speeds ,so engineer number 6 on his way Monday , YES 6 within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Dear me, what a performance this is with Connect (no pun intended) Get a cup of tea,or coffee this will ...

dirtbag is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Comberton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky BB poor speeds ,so engineer number 6 on his way Monday , YES 6

Dear me, what a performance this is with Connect (no pun intended)

Get a cup of tea,or coffee this will be a long one

Ever since I have moved into the area, my internet has been poor. I understand that my exchange is 5k away, but my line is very unstable. Sometimes is ace at 2meg on router stats and 2meg on download speed test. Then a drop out occurs and we are looking at lower speed each time, at the time of writing this I am at 200kbps on router stats and 128k download on speed test, I had 128k ISDN 12 years ago !
      I have not exceeded my download allowance. All i want is a stable speed for online gaming, I have had this at 2 meg and seemed fine, but keeps regressing to under half a meg.

I have had 5 engineers out to my property, each one doing something different, and still I have an unstable line. Other people down my road may accept this, I will not.

My Engineers Log

Engineer 1
      Ran a test on the line in the house appeared fine, put on a pre filer faceplate.
      After a period of time the line became extremely noisy thus affecting the broadband connection. Regularly dropping out and eventually became 200k - 300k Download and 448k Upload.

Engineer 2
      Run a test on the phone line and established that the broadband was causing the noise, when the broadband was switched off the line was crystal clear. Broadband still dropping out and eventually degraded to the above speeds.

Engineer 3
      Ran a test on the line in the house appeared fine, run another test on the local line and found a host of errors. Changed the original BT master socket housing for a new BT Open reach one & changed to a standard micro filter. He also popped to the exchange to have a look, but not sure what he did. This improved the broadband a lot, clear line and router down sync speed of 2048 and upload of 448. Followed by a Google speediest achieved the similar results. Unfortunately after 3 days the connection started dropping again and again until getting to a speed that is at around 200k - 300k Download and 448k Upload.

Engineer 4
      Ran a test on the line in the house appeared fine. Went straight to the exchange and swapped my line onto another pair at the exchange. Called me to let me know this was done. Again this improved the broadband a lot (the best in fact), clear line and router down sync speed of 2048 and upload of 448. Followed by a Google speediest achieved the similar results. When the telephone rings it sometimes cut out the broadband .

Engineer 5
      Ran a test on the line in the house found errors. Installed a new cable from my main (only) socket an up the side of the house, across the road onto the pole. This still did not fix the issue.

So, it appears a problem at the exchange. Sky who have been good throughout have escalated this on BT, who are now sending out the 6th Engineer on Monday

Will this end ?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky BB poor speeds ,so engineer number 6 on his way Monday , YES 6

Run a test on the phone line and established that the broadband was causing the noise,
      If this is true it is a problem with the filter, did he fit or suggest fitting a new one?

As in all cases like this Sky are between a rock and a hard place as they depend on BTO to do the job properly, if they don't, Sky can do little about it.

Let's hope the new engineer is broadband trained and gets somewhere with your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

dirtbag (22-10-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If this is true it is a problem with the filter, did he fit or suggest fitting a new one?

As in all cases like this Sky are between a rock and a hard place as they depend on BTO to do the job properly, if they don't, Sky can do little about it.

Let's hope the new engineer is broadband trained and gets somewhere with your problem.
      Hi thanks for the reply. I have had a new router, + 5 brand new filters, also tried 2 new faceplates (pre filter)

A quick work around is that if I swap filters I get a speed increase, but then within 6 hours it drops again, and again etc

Thanks

Just to update My router stats say download at 100kbps, speed test is at 78k. That is a new personal best !