Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I block p2p in sky router?

This is a discussion on Can I block p2p in sky router? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey guys, I'm gonna change company coz Virgin media in my AREA is SHI*... Then I'll go for SKY, I've ...

tuexnovia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can I block p2p in sky router?

Hey guys, I'm gonna change company coz Virgin media in my AREA is SHI*...

Then I'll go for SKY, I've checked it already and I like it, but the router that they'll give me... is a SAGEM I GUESS...

Then in my actual Router, in the section of virtual servers (To open the ports)
      I got just like 19 boxes to open ports, so is perfect, I mean I got all of them full, like this when my friends trying to download something trough TORRENT the area of virtual ports is full and they're always limited, and the connexion is PERFECT I hope you understand what I mean...

I heard that if your router has infinite boxes to open ports you'll never be able to block it because as soon as you block these ports others will be open...

So what can I do??

Any IDEA?? THANKSS guys...

By the way, can I use others routers instead of your router or not?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Can I block p2p in sky router?

How come your 'friends' have access to your router?

If they are blitzing your connection with their Torrents, then perhaps you should encourage them to get their own connections.

I can understand your concerns over the legalities of torrents as well as bandwidth.

If you can't block the torrents, perhaps consider another approach. Set up a cheap desktop with two hard drives. The first HD will be for the OS & general workings of the PC. The 2nd HD will be shared & able to store any torrents downloaded.

As each download is completed, they can then copy off the completed files to their own PC.

By setting the single computer to limit it's access to the bandwidth, and not having multiple PCs competing all the time, everyone is free to perform normal tasks on the Internet at the same time.

If a particularly heavy task is required, you can quickly disconnect the single PC and everyone is free to do other tasks.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

tuexnovia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      How come your 'friends' have access to your router?

If they are blitzing your connection with their Torrents, then perhaps you should encourage them to get their own connections.

I can understand your concerns over the legalities of torrents as well as bandwidth.

If you can't block the torrents, perhaps consider another approach. Set up a cheap desktop with two hard drives. The first HD will be for the OS & general workings of the PC. The 2nd HD will be shared & able to store any torrents downloaded.

As each download is completed, they can then copy off the completed files to their own PC.

By setting the single computer to limit it's access to the bandwidth, and not having multiple PCs competing all the time, everyone is free to perform normal tasks on the Internet at the same time.

If a particularly heavy task is required, you can quickly disconnect the single PC and everyone is free to do other tasks.

jajaja I'd do this one like 15 years ago, not now...

I'm gonna get my OWN conexion... and everyone happy...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Routers for the work environment tend to has most ports closed, so that P2P traffic doesn't pass through them.

The home environment tends to want ports opened before hand.

The nature of P2P software means that you can easily change the ports used and even set them to change each time the program is restarted.

This is why it isn't easy to block them in the home environment IMHO.

Discipline is the way to control them, hence my suggestion.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Also if you turn off UNnP which P2P uses when specific ports are not opened, that should help prevent downloading. It is far better to secure your router with strong passwords and use WPA2 which will deny access to anyone you do not want on your network.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Disabling Upnp doesn't work with the newer bit torrent clients. The best way to block torrents without getting an expensive router is to find out what trackers your friends use and add them to the block list on your router.

Trackers are the essence of torrenting. If you block access to them your friends won't be able to initiate a handshake and hence not be able to see or connect to any peers.