Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bad Connection Issues

This is a discussion on Bad Connection Issues within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hey guys, just wondering if you could suggest something... I'm an avid online gamer, playing things such as; Call of ...

Rubik is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: joshtheslipknotmaggot@hotmail.com
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Bad Connection Issues

Hey guys, just wondering if you could suggest something...

I'm an avid online gamer, playing things such as; Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and quite a few more...

I have been on Sky for quite a while now, ever since I moved house and well, what can I say...? The connection has been terrible, one moment I'm connected, one moment I'm not, usually after 6pm(ish) my connection drops drastically, also the weekends are terrible for the internet too... This is very frustrating as I'm at work most of the day and do not have time for using the web until around 8pm...

I've taken a speedtest and here are the results; http://www.speedtest.net/result/1463232717.png
      Crap right? I've seen people with what, 30mb? and I'm down on 1...

Please, if there is anything that I can do to speed up or fix my connection issues, just leave a post below...

If there is anything else you think I should add to the topic please say so and I'll happily do so.

Thanks...

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Bad Connection Issues

Firstly please remove your email address from your profile, unless you wish to find your inbox filled with junk from the various bots that circulate to find email addresses.

Next please read this thread as it will explain your specific problems:

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

You are on an ADSL connection that has a max of 8Mb. Sky's LLU service has an official maximum of 20Mb. Some manage 23-23Mb, but these are the exception.

Where you are seeing people with 30Mb connections in this country, they will have FTTC. This is being rolled out across the country. There are many threads discussing FTTC & the faster FTTP in this forum.

Sky has yet to launch their FTTC product range.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

tuexnovia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
      Hey guys, just wondering if you could suggest something...

I'm an avid online gamer, playing things such as; Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and quite a few more...

I have been on Sky for quite a while now, ever since I moved house and well, what can I say...? The connection has been terrible, one moment I'm connected, one moment I'm not, usually after 6pm(ish) my connection drops drastically, also the weekends are terrible for the internet too... This is very frustrating as I'm at work most of the day and do not have time for using the web until around 8pm...

I've taken a speedtest and here are the results; http://www.speedtest.net/result/1463232717.png
      Crap right? I've seen people with what, 30mb? and I'm down on 1...

Please, if there is anything that I can do to speed up or fix my connection issues, just leave a post below...

If there is anything else you think I should add to the topic please say so and I'll happily do so.

Thanks...
      Actually mate I got the same problem that you with VIRGIN, and what they do is to LIMIT your connexion to 1 MB and 400 PING, because like this in the moment of maximum users everyone is supposed that they'll be happy and is not....

I was about to change my company but I can see that SKY does the same so... I think that I'm not gonna move unless they let me try 1 month for free or something like this...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tuexnovia View Post
      Actually mate I got the same problem that you with VIRGIN, and what they do is to LIMIT your connexion to 1 MB and 400 PING, because like this in the moment of maximum users everyone is supposed that they'll be happy and is not....

I was about to change my company but I can see that SKY does the same so... I think that I'm not gonna move unless they let me try 1 month for free or something like this...
      You seem to be a little disgruntled. Rather than spam lots of threads, why not start your own fresh thread.

ADSL Speeds depend so much on the length of the line between your home and the telephone exchange. If your connection speeds are rubbish, then chase the ISP that you are with or investigate some other method to improve you connection speed. This may mean that you move home or just play the waiting game.

There are many areas around the country where residents are unable to get even 512Kb connection speeds on ADSL.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

tuexnovia is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You seem to be a little disgruntled. Rather than spam lots of threads, why not start your own fresh thread.

ADSL Speeds depend so much on the length of the line between your home and the telephone exchange. If your connection speeds are rubbish, then chase the ISP that you are with or investigate some other method to improve you connection speed. This may mean that you move home or just play the waiting game.

There are many areas around the country where residents are unable to get even 512Kb connection speeds on ADSL.
      What are you saying????

I got 25Mb and 15 of ping, but from 17:00 to 01:00 they give me this... BECASUE THE AREA:..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tuexnovia View Post
      What are you saying????

I got 25Mb and 15 of ping, but from 17:00 to 01:00 they give me this... BECASUE THE AREA:..
      I am saying that you should use your own thread to complain about, sorry DISCUSS this issue and not hijack someone else's thread.

Each ISP is free to operate their own network in a manner that suits them. There are many threads on this forum which talk about Gamers' Profiles, so had you done any research you would have known what was available.