Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Xbox live random disconnects and lag.

This is a discussion on Xbox live random disconnects and lag. within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, New user here. I joined sky in July and so far i am disappointed with the broadband. At ...

Miller85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ECC
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Xbox live random disconnects and lag.

Hi all,

New user here.

I joined sky in July and so far i am disappointed with the broadband. At first i had noise on the line every time i used the phone which disconnected the broadband. I am always connected to the test socket, so during fault finding they just sent me a new router.

I am now in possession of two routers the Packfast 2304N and the DSL-2640S. I am unsure which one to keep as during the 3 days i was waiting for the DSL-2640S the noise went away. Since connecting the DSL-2640S it has happened twice!

Both routers however have not enhanced my experience on xbox live. Lag and slow loading of the dashboard/friends list are daily issues. Even during playing the likes of Zombies on black ops i have occasions of bouncing around only achieving 2 yellow bars.

Here are some stats

Connection Speed 7007 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.5db 20.1db
      Noise Margin 13.7db 7.0db

I am not all savvy when it comes to the technical stuff but i am learning by the day. One thing i have noticed is that the connection speed up or down never ever increases or decreases.

Just to clarify i am connected direct to the mater socket using a corded phone and using ethernet to xbox.

And to add insult to injury after spending 15 on the adslnation faceplate i can't use it because of the way the installer has wired my sky boxes to the phoneline.

Any info from the more tech savvy guys is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: Just been put on the gaming profile to see how this pans out, it also increased my speed a fraction.

Connection Speed 7082 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.5db 20.2db
      Noise Margin 12.3db 7.0db
      Last edited by Miller85; 31-08-11 at 01:28 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Xbox live random disconnects and lag.

I have just done a speedtest after switching to the gamer profile and my speed has halved.

Before i was getting around 6.5Mbps

Now just 2.44

Do i really need to sacrifice that much speed for smooth play? I have already gone down from 9meg when i switched from talk talk to sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i can't use it because of the way the installer has wired my sky boxes to the phoneline.
      Why not? If they have connected it to the AB terminals instead of the faceplate, that is wrong and should be removed. If you are just taking about the thing they plug in with 'Do not remove' on it, ignore the notice, pull it out and plug it into the phone side filtered faceplate.

You should still be getting 6+Mb, if your speed has dropped that much something else is wrong, either with your line, the exchange equipment or your router. Remove the faceplate and plug ito the test socket and post your stats from there. Use only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Miller85 (02-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Why not? If they have connected it to the AB terminals instead of the faceplate, that is wrong and should be removed. If you are just taking about the thing they plug in with 'Do not remove' on it, ignore the notice, pull it out and plug it into the phone side filtered faceplate.

You should still be getting 6+Mb, if your speed has dropped that much something else is wrong, either with your line, the exchange equipment or your router. Remove the faceplate and plug ito the test socket and post your stats from there. Use only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky.
      I will get some pictures to show you how it is wired, but basically he has wired the multiroom box direct to a phone splitter. When that is plugged into the adsl nation faceplate it covers the adsl slot.

I have been connected to the master socket for the best part of a month and the adsl cable i am using at the minute is the Belkin RJ11.

Thanks

The best way to connect it would be to connect the wires directly to the terminals on the back of the filtered faceplate. If that is not convenient, plugging another splitter into the socket first would allow you to plug in the ADSL cable without any hindrance. Something like this would do-
      2, 3 or 4Way TelephoneAdaptors : Telephone Couplers Adaptors : Maplin

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Miller85 (02-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The best way to connect it would be to connect the wires directly to the terminals on the back of the filtered faceplate. If that is not convenient, plugging another splitter into the socket first would allow you to plug in the ADSL cable without any hindrance. Something like this would do-
      2, 3 or 4Way TelephoneAdaptors : Telephone Couplers Adaptors : Maplin
      Thanks for the info.

Which 2 wires do i plug in and it to which numbers?.

At the minute i am in no rush as my line is playing up really badly again. Constant noise on the line broadband disconnecting when i answer the phone. It seems like TalkTalk problems all over again, which leads me to be believe that it is actually my line and not the equipment like sky suggests.

Thanks

I am not sure how the wires to the splitter are laid out. Normally I think it would be the 2 centre wires which are active, these should be fixed to the 2 and 5 terminals. The order does not matter. Make sure the Sky box connection is disconnected when you check for noise.

TomD

Useful Utilites