Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Xbox live unusable on sky broadband unlimited?!Help please!!?

This is a discussion on Xbox live unusable on sky broadband unlimited?!Help please!!? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice/help on an issue I have with xbox live on sky broadband ...

markusbrodie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: +441977
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Xbox live unusable on sky broadband unlimited?!Help please!!?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice/help on an issue I have with xbox live on sky broadband unlimited.
      Basically, I have the sagemcom F@ST2304 router, and a 3mb speed (I'll post stats further down this post).
      My xbox is connected to the router via wifi, as it was at my previous address, where I only had a 2mb speed from a bt business hub router.
      However, at my old address, i could play games online, watch programs on sky etc without any delays or buffering, yet with my sky BB Online gaming is impossible as there is constant lag and buffering and videos etc are the same and it makes it pointless trying to watch anything via xbox live.

Ive seen various posts about this kind of issue with sky BB, but they seem to be from a while ago or to do with connection speed. My xbox connects to xbox live fine and signs me in, brings up the online content etc without any problems, it's just when I try to access/do anything that makes use of online content.

No other devices connected either wired or wifi (iPad, MacBook pro, windows pc, Sony Bravia tv, sky hd box etc) have any sorts of speed issues and run videos and other content fine. Oh and these aren't running and downloading stuff at the same time I'm trying to play online. I do have anytime + activated though.

Router stats:
      Connection speed: downstream 3072 Kbps
      Upstream: 800kbps

Line attenuation: downstream 52.0 db upstream 31.5 db
      Noise margin: downstream 9.7 db upstream 13.0 db

Any help or advice greatly appreciated - not being able to play online kind of makes my gold membership to xbox live pointless.

Thanks,

Mark
      Lounge: Sony Bravia KDL40HX703, Sony Home Theatre HTSS360, Sony Blu-Ray BDPS370, Sky+HD Amstrad DRX890, iPad.
      Games Room: Sony Bravia KDL40EX503, xbox360 + Kinect, X Rocker Gaming Chair.

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: Xbox live unusable on sky broadband unlimited?!Help please!!?

this could be the fact that it depends on how far you are from the exchange. also wifi isnt stable for gaming what you could try is try your xbox through ethernet wired. if its still unstable try putting your xbox in dmz mode this i think in simple terms puts your games console outside of the routers firewall given a better connection

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deadman1984 For This Useful Post:

markusbrodie (14-08-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could try downloading Inssider from the link below and use that to discover the channels in use in your area. Set your router channel to one as far from those in use as possible.

Your previous router may have had a better wireless performance, if you still have it try connecting it to your Sky router using these instructions. - How to connect two Routers together

It is possible that the fabric of your old address permitted a better wireless performance.

Ultimately an ethernet connection will always be better, either using a long ethernet cable or Homeplugs.-
      Homeplug | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

markusbrodie (14-08-11)

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

yea ethernet is better as its stable and bettr than wireless wireless always has issues

Thanks

Thanks for the help, will try those possibilities out. This may be a basic question, but how would I put the xbox in to dmz mode?
      Lounge: Sony Bravia KDL40HX703, Sony Home Theatre HTSS360, Sony Blu-Ray BDPS370, Sky+HD Amstrad DRX890, iPad.

Thanks

hi again, i've left my xbox connected via wifi and after getting some instructions from the internet have set it's IP to DMZ and all now seems to be working fine (just the one online game played so far, but it seemed fine).
      I'm just wondering, if there are any major security issues having it as DMZ as my router had some warnings about doing it on the page where i altered the settings.

Thanks again for all your help

Thanks

Their is not much of a risk with a console in the DMZ, but never do this with a PC. If you haven't already done so make sure the address of the Xbox is reserved in the Address Reservation list in the Router. This makes sure that a PC is never given the address and thus exposed in the DMZ. Note that giving the xbox a fixed address does not alleviate the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thank you both for your help on this, I've now reserved the xbox ip address and tested sky and online gaming through xbox live and both are working without lagging or problems now
      Having gone through the dmz setting process I've discovered that the router sky provided me with is pretty basic! Many I've read up on appear to have settings specifically for gaming and applications. The sagem router had nothing other than the option to set a computer as a default dmz server (this is what I have set the xbox as) and doesn't give anything like the options and access my old bt business hub did.... I'm guessing I can't use that for sky BB though....?

Thanks

. I'm guessing I can't use that for sky BB though....?
      You can if you can unlock it to use Sky settings. Many use their own routers.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Hmm, thanks, I'll have to have a look in to how I go about that. Just glad I've got xbox live working properly now!

Thanks again both, for your help with this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast