Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree1Likes

Xbox live unusable on sky broadband unlimited?!Help please!!?

This is a discussion on Xbox live unusable on sky broadband unlimited?!Help please!!? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Thanks again to you all for the info on this. I'm waiting for a call back from the electricians re ...

markusbrodie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: +441977
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Xbox live unusable on sky broadband unlimited?!Help please!!?

Thanks again to you all for the info on this.

I'm waiting for a call back from the electricians re the wiring, from there will decide whether it's worth the cost of getting them in to sort out a wired home network/or doing it myself.
      If it looks like it's going to be very expensive, or it wasn't wired in a way that would be any use to me, i may have a look at the homeplug option.

Of course the other option would be to reposition the router, but we like the entertainment options it gives having the TV, Sky and Blu ray hooked up to it and to buy wifi adapters for all of them would probably work out quite expensive.
      Lounge: Sony Bravia KDL40HX703, Sony Home Theatre HTSS360, Sony Blu-Ray BDPS370, Sky+HD Amstrad DRX890, iPad.
      Games Room: Sony Bravia KDL40EX503, xbox360 + Kinect, X Rocker Gaming Chair.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

hi again,

Just a quick question, what are G.DMT and adsl2plus?!
      Lounge: Sony Bravia KDL40HX703, Sony Home Theatre HTSS360, Sony Blu-Ray BDPS370, Sky+HD Amstrad DRX890, iPad.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

These are different line modes. G.DMT only uses half of the available frequency, which reduces the chance of interference. Sky limit it to a download of 8Mb. ADSL2+ uses the full available frequencies so can be susceptible to interference, especially on long lines. Sky limit this to a maximum 20Mb download.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

its times like these i realise i'm nowhere near as technically knowledgeable as i thought i was!

Thanks

having just done a quick look on amazon, there appears to be some decent homeplugs for just under 60!
      considering there's only my xbox i'm looking to wire up at this point, i'm wondering whether investing in a set of these will be the best option for the time being... will maybe see if the electricians get back to me today before ordering though...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Personally I always try to mention the following before purchasing HomePlugs:

• aim to purchase a pair with a 'pass-through' socket as they do not work well of Surge Protected extensions
      • whilst you can get some that will work at 85mbps, and many members of this forum are happy with that connection speed, personally I would aim for 100 or 200 mbps transfer speed so that they work well with the Sky router's speed.
      • you can get 1Gbit HomePlugs now
      • they come in a variety of styles now, think about LAN ports and/or WiFi n connections
      • if buying 2nd hand, be aware that some early models had problems. Do a check to see if the model has had a product recall notice
      • remember that distance selling regulations apply when purchasing over the Internet from places like Amazon, but not necessarily all as private sellers won't be covered, for example

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

cheers for the advice!

they will be going straight in to the wall socket, so hopefully shouldn't be a problem - and got a work colleague going to lend me theirs that they got free and don't use, so i can test them out before either buying them or getting some new ones (depending on what speed his are).

the electricians that did the work on the build haven't got back to me regarding what the potential is and possible work for the ethernet wiring they fitted, so clearly don't need the business!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Check out this notice: BT Vision Powerline Adapter notice

As for the Ethernet cable, why don't you test it with a Digital Voltage Meter & perform a continuity test? You may be able to find which wires go where.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Just thought i'd update you all seeing as you took the time to offer advice on this:

i seemed to be getting mixed results via wifi, with the xbox in DMZ - in the afternoon it seemed to work completely fine, with only very slightly lags from time to time, but once it got to the evening it became unusable, which kind of suggested either the internet was slowing due to volume of users (though i'm sure Sky insist this won't happen) or the amount of wifi signals around and in use (there are about 10 wireless networks that my macbook finds when on the top floor) was causing the issue.

So, i tried a different channel for the wifi, with moderate success, but not enough to be usable. Being kind of impatient i didn't want to have to spend the week trying different channels at different times to find one that might possibly be ok.

oh, and the electricians who did the ethernet wiring have never got in contact with me.

So yesterday i purchased a devolo dlan 500 AV MINI starter kit and......

ITS WORKING LIKE A DREAM!!!!

tested in the afternoon and various points at night! - smooth gaming, lag free sky go etc on the xbox. RESULT!

it was more than i planned on paying for home plugs and i had read that you never get the speeds they quote, but after 3 readings so far that weren't even in the middle of gaming i've been getting transfer rates of 197mbps 199mbps and 203mbps! whereas my windows laptop on wifi has a speed of 72mbps.

It still is a bit annoying that i have no idea of the capability of the ethernet wiring that's been put in place, but at least i now know its not the speed of my internet connection, but the wifi performance of the router/xbox wifi adapter and most importantly its solved!

Thanks to everyone who contributed - i didn't even know Homeplugs existed till you mentioned them - and i thought i was up on my gadgets and tech!!!
      Scubbie likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123