Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Xbox live unusable on sky broadband unlimited?!Help please!!?

This is a discussion on Xbox live unusable on sky broadband unlimited?!Help please!!? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hope its running smoother now i also had simalar issues to ya mark i had a xbox before well i ...

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: Xbox live unusable on sky broadband unlimited?!Help please!!?

hope its running smoother now i also had simalar issues to ya mark i had a xbox before well i still have it but dont use it. and i was experiencing lagging and slow issues so i moved it from wifi to ethernet and its great putting a console in dmz mode is harmless just dont put your pc or smartphone or tablet in dmz mode lol

2. Advertisement
      markusbrodie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: +441977
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hi again,

Unfortunately after working well initially, it doesn't appear to have solved the problem. It is working better than it did before, but there are still lagging issues on gaming.
      My house is a new build with ethernet points in each room though, so going to look in to getting a company out to hook them all up - they are just cables hanging behind faceplates at the moment... I havent even figured out where they all run to... May have to investigate the loft....
      Lounge: Sony Bravia KDL40HX703, Sony Home Theatre HTSS360, Sony Blu-Ray BDPS370, Sky+HD Amstrad DRX890, iPad.
      Games Room: Sony Bravia KDL40EX503, xbox360 + Kinect, X Rocker Gaming Chair.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

They may wish to charge you for the work, so be careful.

In fairness, provided that they are suitable and not telephone points, with the use of a crimping tool, it is normally quite easy to hock up the sockets.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

Yeah, i'm guessing it may be costly, but i've got in touch with the company that did the wiring in the house (via the building company), so if nothing else i will hopefully be able to find out where all the wires run to and could then look in to installing a switch etc myself if they try to charge a fortune to install something for me.
      I've had a look up in the loft but there's no sign of the wiring there, without pulling all the insulation up (didn't fancy doing that).
      the problem has really come about as i actually have room for a dedicated games room in the house as well as a home office. So my wireless router is in the lounge wired to the sky box, tv & blu ray player. then my home office has my work pc and personal macbook connected to the internet via wifi and the games room has the xbox connected via wifi...
      the games room and office are on the top floor, with the lounge on the middle floor, so can't just use a long ethernet cable from the router and hide it under the carpet... hence the desire to now make use of the ethernet points that are installed.

....it was much simpler living in a flat before!!!
      Lounge: Sony Bravia KDL40HX703, Sony Home Theatre HTSS360, Sony Blu-Ray BDPS370, Sky+HD Amstrad DRX890, iPad.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

but there are still lagging issues on gaming.
      Have you called Sky and asked them to put you on a 'gamer profile'? This will reduce the delay and help with the lagging problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

You are certainly look in the right direction.

When they come to connect up the wiring, ask if it is Cat 5, Cat 5e or Cat 6. Cat 5 is limited to 100Mb, whilst Cat 5e & 6 would cope with a 1Gbit LAN. This could be useful in the future.

Cat 5 only uses 4 pins. Cat 5e & Cat 6 require all 8 wires to be connected.

If they can't connect the wiring in a suitable manner, then look in to purchasing a set of HomePlugs.

The first would be connected to the router. A second could be placed in the Games room, allowing the Xbox to connect up. You then would have a choice of having a third in your office or using a WiFi enabled Switch (or an old router) to boost the WiFi signal to the Office.

BTW: Just to make you aware, the Sky Broadband package is not rated for business usage. Should you loose your connection for a few days, then there will be no compensation for lose of earnings. I would suggest that you keep a 3G dongle handy for such an event.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Hi again,

Thanks for the info.

It wouldn't lead to any loss of earnings if the internet went down, the company i work for provides a 3g dongle and iPhone as well... which makes it especially hard to claim you didn't see an email . It would just be a pain.
      Are home plugs any good? i've heard mixed messages about their effectiveness.

also, what does a gamer profile do (other than help with the gaming issue)? will it cause anything else i've got to have problems on the internet?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The gamer profile can sometimes, but not always, lead to a slight reduction in your sync speed. Having looked at your stats you are on G.DMT and I do not know if a gaming profile is available on this mode, it may be just a case of asking for your delay to be reduced to 8. User05 may be able to say what is correct.

I think they will have installed Cat5e or Cat6, Cat5 is now almost impossible to obtain.

Homeplugs are OK and perform well for most, but if you have the basis of an ethernet network, they are not worth considering.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markusbrodie View Post
      It wouldn't lead to any loss of earnings if the internet went down, the company i work for provides a 3g dongle and iPhone as well... which makes it especially hard to claim you didn't see an email . It would just be a pain.
      No problem. Not everyone has the same options available or has a savy employer.

Are home plugs any good? i've heard mixed messages about their effectiveness.
      I would not recommend them if you have ultra sensitive data on your computers. At the same time, if this were the case, I wouldn't recommend that you use WiFi either.

In order to hack into a HomePlug, you would need to know that they exist and then you could start guessing the lengthy passcode to crack in to them.

Not all HomePlugs arrive with their security correctly enabled and some people don't always set them up correctly and leave the security off when they arrive. Check the packaging and perform any 'calibration' or 'linking' process required.

If your home were an old build with poor electrical wiring, then the HomePlugs might not perform very well. They are also not recommend to be used on Surge Protected extentions.

also, what does a gamer profile do (other than help with the gaming issue)? will it cause anything else i've got to have problems on the internet?
      Tom's covered this.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Having looked at your stats you are on G.DMT and I do not know if a gaming profile is available on this mode, it may be just a case of asking for your delay to be reduced to 8. User05 may be able to say what is correct.
      Gamer profiles can be applied on both g.dmt and adsl2plus.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast