Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Terrible!! It's so bad.

This is a discussion on Terrible!! It's so bad. within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I like playing online games but I can't because my ping is 60 to just the BBC website lol (that ...

skybroadbandis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Terrible!! It's so bad.

I like playing online games but I can't because my ping is 60 to just the BBC website lol (that is a horrendous ping, does sky really think that's acceptable??) I also get frequent "connection interupted" messages whilst playing online games, mainly Black Ops.

Also I seem to notice my speed on the router page is going up and down, sometimes it's over 5000kbs which is the most my line can support other times it's 4000kbs.

Now when it's 5000kbs my ping will go upto 60 and my noise margin will be at about 7-8db.

When it's 4000kbs my ping will be about 55 and my noise margin will be about 15db.

Here are my router stats:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 4949 500908 0 882613 723005061 0:12:46
      LAN Up 508952 506998 0 730565664 45269899 2:47:30
      WLAN Up 762 373 0 173971 47078 2:47:12
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4765 kbps 677 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.0 dB 29.1 dB
      Noise Margin 3.1 dB 7.5 dB

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Terrible!! It's so bad.

Your noise margin for the downstream is will below Sky's target of 7dB.

I would be inclined to firstly go through how your router is connected to the telephone line, then once everything is correct, call Sky and ask someone to configure your line for the 'Gamer's Profile'.

So, firstly you mention that you connection speed is jumping between 4,000kbps & 5,000kbps, this is NOT normal. Your connection should be stable at all times of the day.

How are you connecting your router to the telephone line? (i.e. which socket; extension)

How many extensions do you have?

Do you have any noise on the line when making a phone call? (use a corded telephone, plugged into the Test Socket and dial '1'. Listen carefully for any noise)

Also do you have a BT Junction Box?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

My set up: I use an ADSL extension integral broadband filter that is plugged into my phone line (cause my socket thing is in an awkward place) I then plug my router into the extension filter and then use an ADSL splitter (which goes into the broadband filter) and connect my phone to that.

About the noise yes I do, now with my old ISP I had no noise on my line for about a year then when I started hearing strange noises (just before the phone dials the number) it all went to ****. With Sky I hear a strange noise right after I dial a number.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

If you have a test socket: Connect the router to that with just a filter and the short grey dsl cable provided by Sky to the router. No other equipment connected or extensions and re-take the stats.

If you don't have a test socket: Disconnect all devices from every socket in use and connect the router to the master socket with just a filter and the short grey dsl cable provided by Sky to the router. No other equipment connected or extensions and re-take the stats.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are plugging the router into a trailing extension, that is probably the root of your problem. The filter should be plugged into the wall socket and the router plugged into that, using the ADSL cable supplied or a good quality longer one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have to have it set up like that and can someone tell me if I can leave sky right away? I've been with them for about a month and it's been rubbish, Infinity has just been set up here and the website says 30-40 download.

But anyways I didn't have this problem with O2 infact my ping was half of what it is with Sky and my speeds were faster, can't believe I changed to this rubbish just to save a few pound each month.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Your own set-up is likely the problem. If you want to leave, then call Sky - 08442410515.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Infinity has just been set up here and the website says 30-40 download
      You will find Infinity requires you to use the Master socket, if you can't use it, don't waste your time applying.

Call Sky and tell them you are not happy with your broadband and want to leave. You will be freeing up a place for someone else who may be prepared to do something about their home set up and not just blame Sky for a poor service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.