Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

PC game issues

This is a discussion on PC game issues within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi All, I've been trying fairly hard recently to get my internet sorted at home so I can play World ...

Horlicks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

PC game issues

Hi All,

I've been trying fairly hard recently to get my internet sorted at home so I can play World of Warcraft online. Originally I was in Burton with a happy LLU and Broadband unlimited - now I'm on Broadband connect 40 gb - and the service provided is pretty much night and day difference.

World of Warcraft will simply not connect between the time I get home and anywhere between 9:00 & 10:00pm. After 9:30-10:00, it is fine! Edit: before 9:00pm there is sometimes a succesful connection where I get a home latency that is fine, however the world latency is 4-9k ms, and I can't do anything remotely fun aside from using gchat/general chat etc. I can also contact GMs who give the generic answers and then blame Sky.

The bizarre issue I can't get my head around is this:

IF it was throttled internet issues, why is the time its throttled until not constant?

My download speed is 6000-7000 kbit/s, and 300-400 kbit/s upload. I have a worse upload at work with a different company - however the hub is for a bigger population.

The hub I'm on is Lundin Links, which doesn't house as much as Leven - where site is situated.

Any help would be appreciated. Could I possibly ask Sky to keep some ports open? I can't seem to see ports 1119 & 3724 which are required for WoW during this traffic period.

Could I reduce my MTU packet size to see if this helps? Would this have an impact on anything?

I'm happy to hear any solutions, as I'd not really want to leave Sky as they've been good to me when I've been on me travels around the country with work - however this is not acceptable as I could play PC games on the internet with a 56k modem and have better ping than I do now.

Horlicks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: PC game issues

You are on Sky BB Connect. There is very little we can do for you. You have a daily bandwidth limit of 1.3Gb. If you exceed this regularly, you get capped. During peak times, the speed is reduced further.

Take a look at this thread:

(Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers,

Thought this could be the case.[ Edit: However my download and upload speeds are not an issue (they don't decrease significantly in this time period, I've tested this and I see maybe a 10-15% drop max - there's not many people up here!) - this is simply a gaming issue.]

Sadly there's no LLU options up in this neck of the woods.

My other option is BT, but this is also a 40Gb option (assume the same situation).

I don't use the internet for downloading massive amounts of data, only primarily for gaming, so shouldn't have passed this limit.

[Edit: Just checked on the sam knows plug-in on the site - and my internet should be stronger where I currently am when I'm back at home as opposed to here at work.]

Thanks for your help, I'll give BT a ring and ask if they'll do the same.

Horlicks

P.S. Edit #3: I have seen that thread before (and thought briefly it could be the same issue I was facing), and although helpful, not quite the problem I'm experiencing here. I haven't posted without exploring here first thoroughly, and also on Blizzard's technical forums.

Thanks

The problem is two-fold.

Sky won't invest in more bandwidth for customers on Sky BB Connect.

BT Wholesale traffic manage the line and force the peak-time throttling.

Don't forget too that it isn't just downloads that are monitored. It will also be your upload traffic.

There are plenty of other ISPs who can offer better BT Wholesale based products than Sky does. You do not have to stick with BT.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the feedback,

Do BT throttle their own lines? Or more specifically, as I'd imagine, do they throttle their competitors more to provide a better service to their direct customers?

I'm concerned that when Sky Connect is throttled, that EVERYTHING is throttled.

By switching to another BT Wholesale based product from, say, Orange, or Talk, would this alleviate the problem?

Or best bet, avoid going around the houses and go direct to the source - and lump for BT whilst I'm here?

Horlicks

Thanks

No one throttles anyone as much as Sky BB Connect.

As for how good or bad any other ISP is, you are going to need to do your homework.

Please don't ask me to do it for you as I do not know what you do on the Internet, nor what you budget is. If I were to do it for you, then 20,000 other people would want the same service tomorrow.

Remember that when you ask for your MAC code from Sky, do not tell them to cancel the BB. This will add weeks to your ability to transfer the line to a new ISP.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nope, of course not.

You've provided ample information, that's all I required to make an informed decision.

I was going to cancel the BB, so thanks for the heads up on just asking for the MAC code. I'll have a word with <insert new supplier here> next week about how best to go about it.

Thank you for your quick and helpful responses, wasn't expecting this level of help!

Thanks

No problem.

Sorry if I was a little rough. I've been let down today by a firm whom I'd ordered something from in a big way and I am very upset over the issue.

I could certainly provide a list of ISPs out there, but my personal experience of another ISP is a little dated now as I have been with Sky since early last year.

Most ISPs have changed their portfolio of products and with the current climate of cost cutting, many will have changed the fine print and how they deal with customers.

It is really for your benefit that you draw up a shortlist, then research the products of each ISP in turn. You will be surprised at the small differences.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you want a good gamers package with a well managed network, consider Plusnet (they do a gamers package for people wo really need good latency).

They are actually owned by BT but manage their network very well so that gamers do not get the sticky end of the stick.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Bandwidh consumption isn't an issue with WoW.

It only uses 25 megabytes per hour so unless you are dual boxing and playing all day every day then it is unlikely you will go over your allowence.

As for ISP's I would stay away from O2, if you can get LLU their new packages are awful and traffic managed to oblivion and their rebadged BT product is marginally better than connect.

Before I left last year I had several weeks of terrible packet loss and they finally admitted the problem with no timescale of identifying the problem or fixing it.

I went back to BT in the end and it was a good call, good pings and speed and now the FTTC cabs are being installed outside my house.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!