Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ps3 sagem router internet issues

This is a discussion on ps3 sagem router internet issues within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there, apologies if this has been asked. I have just joined sky from aol, and thought with the better ...

goldenboyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: north shields
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ps3 sagem router internet issues

Hi there, apologies if this has been asked.

I have just joined sky from aol, and thought with the better download and upload speed, i would finally get around to buying me a brand new ps3.

Bought the ps3 but as usual, everytime you wish to try and play a game, you need to download the latest patch and update, however what i am experiencing is that:-
      the sagem router supplied loses connection and then the internet connection drops (this can not be due to the dlm? and with it being in this config stage i am loathe to switch off as the speed will drop with the sync), this also happens on my laptop when downloading using bittorrents. Yesterday i waited 21hours for it to come back online and in the end had to reboot.
      1.5 hour on phone to tech support was futile

any advice on how to get around this?
      tried again today hence the low uptime

latest router stats below

cheers ian

System Up Time: 1:23:27
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 62316 74546 0 6688809 58805977 1:22:03
      LAN Up 51076 41820 0 44491551 4554609 1:23:27
      WLAN Up 40269 35050 0 31742036 6461748 1:23:08
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8700 kbps 921 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 18.8 dB
      Noise Margin 7.2 dB 7.5 dB

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: ps3 sagem router internet issues

First things first, how are you connecting your Laptop & PS3 to the router?

The PS3 should be connected via Ethernet cable when playing on-line games. You will seriously experience problems if you try to play through the WiFi connection.

As for your laptop dropping the connection when doing torrents, it might be worth doing a couple of things:

1. Limit the upload speed to around 2/3rds of your maximum potential upload speed (in you case .6Mb or 60 kB/s.

2. Ensure that you laptop is in the best location for a WiFi signal

3. Because of the demands placed on your connection by the PS3 games, I would not personally recommend that you have both the torrents and the PS3 using your Internet connection at the same time

4. Install and run inSSIDer to see which is the clearest WiFi channel in your local area. Change your router to match this channel

Also, whilst running inSSIDer, could you make a note of the maximum WiFi speed that your router is capable of working at and report back to us please. It would help us to identify the actual model router you have.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Apart from the wireless issues your speed does not look too good. You should have at least a double figure download speed. Plug into your Test socket and take your stats from there, using only the cable and filter supplied by Sky.

When you are set up normally check that everything plugged into the phone line is running through a filter. This includes STBs, fax machines etc.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

On the X MB menu on your PS3, go to settings > network settings > settings and connection status list

Look for the signal strength reading and post it here.
      While you do that keep looking at the signal strength reading for a minute and report back any frequent changes you see.

Looking forward to the stats from the test socket too.

Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi everyone,

The DLM may cause speed fluctuations but should only be applicable within the first 10 days of being a Sky broadband customer.

If you are using this wirelessly you can try changing the channel. This may resolve the connection issues as there could be interference being caused by another device.

Full troubleshooting related to any technical difficulties for the broadband, can be found here.

The initial stages of technical troubleshooting will involve testing the speeds and connections through the test socket found within the master socket. This will determine whether or not anything else connected to your phone line is causing a problem.

Sky eService Team

Thanks

Point taken about DLM and using the Test Socket.

The issue expressed was regarding frequent disconnections whilst playing on the PS3 or whilst downloading torrents. From what others have posted about both, it is better to make the changes that I suggested even when DLM has completed.

The next step IMHO would be to monitor the connection and look at ensuring that the OP has made the most of their connection (i.e. Filtered Faceplates, fixed any dodgy extension wiring, position the router in a good place).

There are a lot of issues with the new crop of routers which have been reported on this forum. Until such time that we actually start hearing good reports, these will continue to have a poor reputation.

In the mean time, we are waiting a response from the OP to see if things have improved after making any of the suggested alterations.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

hi there, thanks for all the replies, it is appreciated, on the pc downstairs the connection has been pretty stable, managing to download a little without kicking out, but iv been reluctant to try upstairs.

i had already used the ssid to change the channel from auto (always channel6? to channel 9 as that looked like the one with the least overlapping...however now this seems to interfere when the microwave is on.

when i use torrents, i usually only ever allow up to 40% of available upload to ensure decent download.(35kb)

when i was using my dgn3300 dual range max netgear i was fine, even without ever using the n technology (laptop is only a b/g)..configured for aol.

i have reset all the connections on the ps3, but the same result so will now have to consider maybe the 250mb p/s plus homeplug option. signal strength was 80% plus

the router is the sagem and shows a max transfer of 72n which is a little weird isnt it?

(router has just gone off whilst writing this) and not sure why but sync speed has rose from 8000ish t0 8800.

Thanks

currently i also do not have a faceplate but shall get one set up correctly as a matter of course...

i have changed channel from 9 to 13

Thanks

at 2.05 today
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8816 kbps 921 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 18.8 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 8.0 dB

Thanks

Thanks for coming back.

I wonder if the Microwave Oven is guilty of interfering with your router all along then?

I would definitely look at repositioning both as far away from each other as possible. They use similar radio frequencies, hence the problem.

As for the torrents, it is the upload speeds I found issue with in the past. This was prior to joining Sky BB and with different routers. I went to 2/3rds as it provides a reasonable ratio in the longer term, without being greedy. Once a torrent reaches 150%, it is then capped individually to 10kB/s and removed when I next get a chance.

Your WiFi speed confirms that you have the Sagemcom 2304 n. This is the new 'WiFi n lite' router that Sky launched recently. It offers better WiFi coverage than their older WiFi g routers, but is not fully WiFi n rated.

If you wanted to try, you could piggyback the DGN3300 to the Sky router. This would rule in or rule out the WiFi issue. The document in the thread below discusses how to set this all up. Rather than use a pair of HomePlugs or a long Ethernet cable, I would suggest trying the short yellow Ethernet cable that was supplied by Sky with the Sky router.

How to connect two Routers together

This is not intended as a permanent solution, rather a temporary one to prove a point.