Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High Pings

This is a discussion on High Pings within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello. You will probably notice that I am new here and stumbled across it when searching google looking for some ...

Meenie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lowestoft
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Angry High Pings

Hello. You will probably notice that I am new here and stumbled across it when searching google looking for some resolutions to high pings on my sky broadband.

I have noticed it playing COD:BO and have tried most of the things people have suggested. I don't have a great line as it is really but here is an image of what I have:

As you will see, it's quite a high ping. I have checked it with a ping via the command prompt and come up with an average ping of 68.401ms to bbc.co.uk and the same to Jolt servers.

Now, I have looked at the socket I have, it's one of the ones which come from a through box then a short lead to the socket on the wall. I think I am right in thinking there's not much I can do with that and the most I have done is removed the ring wire.

Now, I also asked the missus to ring sky and ask to be put on the gamer profile. I currently only have Sky Broadband Everyday Lite and from what I can tell, they were not interested in doing anything and tried to sell me the 12 ish a month connection. Would it really make a difference to change to a higher cost line? No, I doubt it! Not sure where to go from here though, do I look for another provider or ring them up again and badger them some more?

Any suggestions please

2. Advertisement
      BLOODUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Herne Bay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Everything
      Thanks

Re: High Pings

You're not the only one suffering from high ping lately, mine is even higher than yours at 140+

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Before we can even think of suggesting your ping issue is down to the recent exchange issues, it has to be troubleshooted as normal.

Meenie, paste up your stats and answer the following questions:

How to get your router statistics

How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing is before the filter?
      Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
      Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets?
      Do you have a test socket?

Thanks

Stats:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 608 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 13 db

How many telephone sockets do you use? One, there is only one, the other extension socket that was being used has been disconnected and all wiring removed.

Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing is before the filter? Microfilter in the socket, nothing else prior to it.

Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket? Hmm, I presume its the master as there are no other sockets in the flat. The line comes from a box mounted on the wall, just a bit smaller than a fag packet and has a line going in then back out again then going down to the socket.

Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router? Original cable being used.

Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets? Yes, into the adsl filter via a two way splitter.

Do you have a test socket? Nope

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just to confirm:

Do you have a socket that looks like this:

What router do you have? If it is the d-link, then paste up your full detailed stats by downloading the app in the following link:

http://pathogenrush.blogspot.com/201...extractor.html
      Last edited by User05; 17-03-11 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Wrong link

Thanks

No it's not, its one of these things that the wires from outside go into then goes to what looks like a normal extension socket. I have had the face off the socket and there is no master in it, just a capacitor.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

If it has a capacitor then it would be the master socket just not an NTE5 master socket.

Only NTE5 master sockets have a test socket behind them.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Give Sky a call and have them uncap your speeds and set your delays at 8ms. You are capped, and it's usually for stability reasons, but give Sky a call and monitor how it goes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Give Sky a call and have them uncap your speeds and set your delays at 8ms. You are capped, and it's usually for stability reasons, but give Sky a call and monitor how it goes.
      Ok. I did that. And I've been on to customer services, hence the slow reply! They have been good actually. I can not get any more than 3.5mb down (which is fine, wasn't expecting much more) and the ping at times is down to 50ms or so.

Sky have been monitoring it and there are apparently loads of errors.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sky customer services
      I have been monitoring your line and the errors are continuing to build when speed is set at just under 3Mbps.
      There may be an issue with the socket you are using.
      We would normally find the Broadband is connected to either an extension or not the main socket.
      As you state you only have 1 socket and there is not a test socket can you advise if you are connecting via an extension?
      If not we would suspect there is an issue with the socket.
      Speed at 2888kbps
      Shows the following stats
      Avg Errors Per Hour: 279.41
      Over The Period: 7 hours 9 minutes
      So it's back to the socket again. I have bought a new filter as well to be on the safe side and that made no difference.

I take it I can not legally install a new socket (either an "old" type master or a NTE5)? Is this going to have to go to BT?

Thanks

Oh and I am on 8ms GAMER profile now. I will post some router stats from before and after tomorrow (on iPhone at the moment in the pub!). It would appear they have tweaked bits but still feels like playing through mud!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast