Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

High Pings in Evenings

This is a discussion on High Pings in Evenings within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am in Hertfordshire and I have seen a list of affected areas or due upgrades I think it was. ...

Rhys11 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Re: High Pings in Evenings

I am in Hertfordshire and I have seen a list of affected areas or due upgrades I think it was. The area I am in is in this list. I only have high pings in the evening like now, just went on to game for a bit but I can't because my ping is high and the game is laggy.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

I should mention that anyone experiencing these problems should be encouraged to contact Sky.

Before doing so, ensure that you have plugged your router into the Master or Test socket in order to obtain your stats.

Tier 1 will try to 'fix' your line, be patient they are under orders to follow the script 'or else'. Ask to be passed to CST who can then address your issue, but it is unlikely they will fix it as if it is the Backhaul issue, then it is out of their hands.

Why report it then? Simply put: Compensation claims ain't going to wash for those who didn't notice anything are they? Also should they think that the problem has been resolved, you stand to show that it is still there.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin

Just an idea.

Since high ping times is not in the tier 1 script at all you could mention that is the issue and get straight to CST.

Since we have to follow it and it ain't there CST is pretty much the alternative,

You may however get someone that understands what high ping times are.

they will problem ask are you using an ethernet cable and pinging a british server and what the ping times are.

make sure you say you are pinging through command prompt and not from you can use the ping time from the site just say that it was obtained from command prompt.

might not be a bad idea to traceroute a website and then you can also tell them which hop is causing the issue and the ip or URL associate so that you can prove the issue is being cause by the sky network
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12