Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem: Connection Drops Completely in MOH and UTorrent

This is a discussion on Problem: Connection Drops Completely in MOH and UTorrent within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I have done a bit of research on the problem I'm having and have spoken to Sky Customer ...

AndyT83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exclamation Problem: Connection Drops Completely in MOH and UTorrent

Hi all,

I have done a bit of research on the problem I'm having and have spoken to Sky Customer Sevices regarding it.

I am on Sky Max/Unlimited, and have the V2 Black Netgear Router

In a nutshell, the symptoms of the problem are as follows:

On my PC, using UTorrent almost always causes the internet connection to drop out completely (The red cross appears on the taskbar icon). Also, I can log into a game of Medal of Honor (MOH) and join a server for a minute or so, but then the connection dies completely and I get kicked out. When you return to the desktop the connection is gone. This has also happened with COD Black Ops occasionally, but funnily enough doesnt occur in BFBC2 or any other multiplayer games I own.

When the connection drops I have to wait for about 2 mins before I can reestablish a connection.

Some additional info:
      I am on Sky Max/Unlimited

I have forwarded all ports for Utorrent and MOH which are required.

I am using wireless, but have tried it with the PC connected to the router directly via the yellow CAT5E patch cable. The problem still occurs.

I am in a new build rental flat and we have a second socket hardwired through the walls to the main socket. Unfortunately this means I can't get access to the wiring. I have tried the connection at the second socket (located beside the satellite TV connections) and through the main socket.

The wireless connection is always available, even when the connection dies. I have good wireless signal strength.

All other internet apps work OK, and we are generally happy with the speeds.

The phone line (connected to the second socket) is a little muffled, but that may be because the phone is old and knackered!

As we are in a flat I can pick up about 6 other wireless connections within range.

Sky Customer Service's Response

I rang up yesterday and they have run a few tests and determined that there are 'errors on the line' which are building up or something. They have moved me from a normal web surfer profile to a 'gamer profile' but that hasn't helped.

They are sending out a new filter and phone cable as this may be the problem, but I'm not so sure.

Can anyone help with this? Have you seen this before? I have looked around and it seems as though the Router may not be able to cope with the number of connections you get with an MOH or Utorrent? Are other users able to play MOH on the PC with their Sky connections?

I will post my connection stats when I get home from work today.
      Thanks in advance for any help

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Problem: Connection Drops Completely in MOH and UTorrent

UPDATE:

I have tested my connection in the main socket and in the test socket, with the face plate removed. Note - when I remove the faceplate there are still wires connected to it. Is this ok?

Test Results in Normal Main Socket:

Connection Speed
      DS: 11858 kbps
      US: 821kbps

Line Attenuation
      DS: 31 db
      US: 17db

Noise Margin
      DS: 7db
      US: 9db

PingTest.net results
      Quality: A
      Ping: 33 ms
      Jitter: 1ms
      Packet Loss: 0%

Test Results in Engineer's Test Socket:

Connection Speed
      DS: 13306 kbps
      US: 1023 kbps

Line Attenuation
      DS: 31 db
      US: 16 db

Noise Margin
      DS: 8 db
      US: 8db

PingTest.net results
      Quality: A
      Ping: 33 ms
      Jitter: 1ms
      Packet Loss: 0%

Clearly the speeds are better from the test socket, and I am more than happy with the speed, but the connection loss problem remains. Could this be a router issue? Can it handle MOH or Utorrent?

The connection works fine for everything else and it is not a Wireless problem as you can see from the constant WLAN connection.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

1. Where can we see from the WLAN connection? You've not posted anything
      2. Running in the test socket (or fitting a filtered faceplate and having router in the master will ultimately help)
      3. Post up the stats showing full uptime
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry, was looking at the data on my desktop when I posted that, obviously you can't see that!

Stats below, as requested. Note: the following Stats are with a different ADSL filter I found lying around. Seems to have increased the DS noise margin?

Port......... Status..... TxPkts.... RxPkts.... Collisions Tx B/s..... Rx B/s.... Up Time
      WAN....... PPPoA.... 2854....... 3372....... 0............. 1224....... 5933....... 00:05:41
      LAN......... 100M/Full 13879..... 0............. 0............. 20........... 0............. 25:23:39
      WLAN..... 11M/54M. 338915... 265726... 0............. 3364....... 380......... 25:23:26

ADSL Link...............Downstream.......... Upstream
      Connection Speed. 13306 kbps............. 1023 kbps
      Line Attenuation...... 31 db.......................16 db
      Noise Margin...........11 db........................7 db

Thanks

Internet connection is dropping, as you can see from the WAN time being 5 mins and the network nearly 24hrs...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, that's kind of the reason I'm on here. That's the problem I'm trying to sort... That data shows that the connection dropped 5mins previous after I attempted to play on a MOH server.

I have changed wireless mode to g-only and downloaded InSSIDe to check local channels. The neighbours are on Channels 1, 6 and 11, we were also on Channel 1 so I have changed us to Channel 13. Neither of these have made any difference.

I've tried all the solutions I can find on the forum and am now well and truly stumped.

Thanks

It's nothing to do with Wi-Fi as it's the actual Internet connection dropping, you need to setup the router in the test socket with just a filter, Sky-supplied DSL cable and as little as possibly plugged in and see if the connection sticks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your help so far.

Currently the Router is plugged straight in to the test socket via the ADSL filter, through the sky supplied DSL line. I have tried 2 different ADSL filters. The Master socket faceplate is hanging off, with a few extension wires screwed in to it.

I'm still getting the connection dropping though when connecting to a MOH server. The phone plugged through the second socket in the Living room extension has no dial tone, as expected with the faceplate off.

Last thing I can think of to try is use a different DSL cable which i'll try now

Thanks

Connecting to the server can only be coincidence, ignore the game/uTorrent and see if it still drops

Exchange:
      Thanks

New DSL cable didnt work.

The connection never drops on anything other than Utorrent or MOH. I've had this problem for months with Utorrent and a few week since I bought MOH. I have read other forums that suggest it may be a deficiency of the router. See:

Black ops kills all other computer connections [Archive] - Steam Users' Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast