Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Need help with gaming on sky/fail connection

This is a discussion on Need help with gaming on sky/fail connection within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; whenever i game on my xbox or pc with sky connection i am always either on a 3 bar that ...

i needz help plawkz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: has download limit :L
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Need help with gaming on sky/fail connection

whenever i game on my xbox or pc with sky connection i am always either on a 3 bar that drops to a 1 bar and then 3 bar rapidly, or a constant 1 bar/ 2 bar.
      I have been with sky for around 2-3 months now and i have not seen any improvement in my connection, if anything i would say it's getting worse!
      Oh and just to mention when i'm gaming on my xbox 360 on blackops my dad is usually on his laptop on ebay or checking his emails etc, nothing that needs alot of Kb/Mb to run or needed to use.

I would really appreciate it if i can get some answers asap and/or helpful advice i can do to help this lagg and high ping ( which i forgot to mention earlier..)

Thank you for your time,

Jord

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Need help with gaming on sky/fail connection

Oh and i forgot to mention when i walk in my mums room it disconnects me/the internet and i have to wait for it to go from a orange to green light on router again/.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't really understand what you mean in your second post, but your main problem is using wireless to connect. This is seldom a good idea, especially with the Sky routers. You may get an improvement by changing the channel of the router. You can either download Inssider from the link below and use it to discover the channels in use in your area. Set the router channel to one as far from those in use as possible. Alternately you can do it by trial and error, start at channel 13 and work your way down through the channels.

You will get far better results gaming using an ethernet cable, in conjunction with Homeplugs if you can't run a cable.
      HomePlug and Powerline - from 16.61 85Mbps 200Mbps 1000Mbps

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

sorry, what do you mean by channel? is there anyway i can call sky and make them improve my connection? and it also laggs on my laptop too which is very frustrating, please help

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Maybe you should post your stats, from the normal place the router is plugged into the phone line and from the test socket.
      How to get your router statistics
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.