Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Lag Spikes In-game

This is a discussion on Lag Spikes In-game within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am getting lag spikes in just about any game going from Counter Strike: Source to Battlefield Bad Company 2. ...

enlive is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Lag Spikes In-game

I am getting lag spikes in just about any game going from Counter Strike: Source to Battlefield Bad Company 2. This has just came around recently, my ping used to average around 40 on good UK based servers and my brother could even be streaming a game at the same time and I was still able to play easily. But now my ping goes from 40-100 at all times and on top of this I also get lag spikes every 2 minutes or so that make my ping jump up to around 200-400 and can last anywhere between 10 to 30 seconds and make it really annoying to play somtimes. Also auto-kicking for ping makes playing on certain servers impossible.

I see a lot of regulars requesting the statistics of their connection so here you go:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 14335 kbps 916 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23.0 db 12.9 db
      Noise Margin 9.0 db 8.5 db

I'm not quite sure which package I have with the recent change in the Sky Broadband service but originally I had the 8MB, 2nd highest package, which bumped up to 10MB then I have no idea what happened. I can still download at around 1.5mb/s most of the time but my upload just seems to be random and certainly not 100kb/s.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Lag Spikes In-game

Have you asked for your Delay to be reduced? If not call Sky, tell them you are a gamer and want your delay reduced to improve your ping. You may be told your download will be decreased, if you are don't worry about it, it will only be by a few kbs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you asked for your Delay to be reduced? If not call Sky, tell them you are a gamer and want your delay reduced to improve your ping. You may be told your download will be decreased, if you are don't worry about it, it will only be by a few kbs.
      Could I do this by e-mail too or would I be better off just phoning them and asking them to change my internet to the "gamer" profile or something?

And no I have not.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could try it by email, but it may take long enough, by phone it should be done almost immediately, depending on how busy they are.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay, thanks for the quick reply, merry christmas .