Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Potential new customer (And gamer). Would like help :)

This is a discussion on Potential new customer (And gamer). Would like help :) within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi everyone, Well, I am currently with BT and have been for many years, but recently we just had a ...

Andii is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Potential new customer (And gamer). Would like help :)

Hi everyone,

Well, I am currently with BT and have been for many years, but recently we just had a move and was promised up to 5meg broadband (We initially at our old house could only get 2meg).

Anyway... it's been a total nightmare. First couple of days, we were getting around 4 and a half meg and gaming was much better than at out old proprty, and it's deteriorated to just 2 and a half meg. The nightmare of phoning around, constant router disconnects from BTs home hub etc haven't helped. We even did the quiet line test, and our line is silent. We have basically had enough with BT and not getting anywhere with any improvements.

We are currently subscribers to Sky HD (Been with Sky years too) and have taken an interest in their broadband and wanted to know how it is for gaming.

We did the test on the Sky broadband site, and it says we can get 5meg. So... does this mean will with actually HAVE close to 5meg?

Another nightmare with BT is the interleaving and trying to get that switched off due to interleaving having a high latency. How are Sky when it comes to gaming?

Would REALLY love to hear some feedback, because quite frankly, we have had enough of BT and just want a good broadband service where we can surf the net and also enjoy gaming (I game on the 360 a lot, and play games like COD etc).

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Andii

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Potential new customer (And gamer). Would like help :)

Sky don't turn off interleving but then can lower the delay to 8ms, this is more than good enough for gaming and results in pings of around 20-ish ms

As Sky don't traffic shape at any time what you sync at is your download speed
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Check your exchange to make sure that it has been enabled by Sky. If not, forget it as you would only be able to get Sky Connect, why would be like jumping out of the frying pan into a raging furnace.

Post your stats, connection speed, attenuation and noise margin, for an approximate estimate of what you might get on Sky LLU.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I would post my stats, but they are currently messed up due to moving home and endless problems with BT and constant router resets etc. Am awaiting another engineer out tomorrow, have phoned constantly about the problems and seem to be getting nowhere, and it's all a terrible service really, hence my post and thinking of moving to Sky Broadband.

I have checked and I can get Sky Broadband unlimited in my area (Not connect, and up to 5meg), so am really tempted now to switch.

Thank you again for the replies.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay, just to double check... I got this off the Sky Broadband site:

"Great news - you're in a Sky Broadband network area, so you can choose from Sky Broadband Everyday Lite or Unlimited. You can also benefit from free evening and weekend UK# landline calls with Sky Talk and you'll save 5 per month on Sky Broadband with any Sky Talk calls package."

paulmotion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you fella. Just moved from BT to SKY and hoping to get a similar gaming experience to BT without the cost!!

Any info would be appreciated guys

Exchange:
      Thanks

Paul, are you actually already with Sky now? What router do they send you? I think the BT Home Hubs are not very good at all.

Well, BT have sorted my line out etc and am now getting:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1038962118.png

I am still interested in Sky though as I have a feeling my Home Hub is going to start rebooting again, and would love some more feedback from gamers on what it's like for gaming.

Thanks again all.

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andii View Post
      Hi everyone,

Well, I am currently with BT and have been for many years, but recently we just had a move and was promised up to 5meg broadband (We initially at our old house could only get 2meg).

Anyway... it's been a total nightmare. First couple of days, we were getting around 4 and a half meg and gaming was much better than at out old proprty, and it's deteriorated to just 2 and a half meg. The nightmare of phoning around, constant router disconnects from BTs home hub etc haven't helped. We even did the quiet line test, and our line is silent. We have basically had enough with BT and not getting anywhere with any improvements.

We are currently subscribers to Sky HD (Been with Sky years too) and have taken an interest in their broadband and wanted to know how it is for gaming.

We did the test on the Sky broadband site, and it says we can get 5meg. So... does this mean will with actually HAVE close to 5meg?

Another nightmare with BT is the interleaving and trying to get that switched off due to interleaving having a high latency. How are Sky when it comes to gaming?

Would REALLY love to hear some feedback, because quite frankly, we have had enough of BT and just want a good broadband service where we can surf the net and also enjoy gaming (I game on the 360 a lot, and play games like COD etc).

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Andii
      Hi Andii,

Does the Sky website say that you are in a Sky network enabled area?
      You can also check on the below site:
      SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

You enter your telephone number, this then gives/shows the telephone exchange you are on. Once you click on the telephone exchange you are on, you will see on the right of the page 'LLU operator presence'. If you are in a Sky network enabled area, you will see Sky/Easynet in the LLU operator presence'. If Sky is not in the LLU list, then you would be put on to Sky Connect if you joined Sky. Sky Connect is absolute rubbish, its throttled/traffic managed big style and should be avoided.

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

I've just read further down the page Andii and I see you mention that you can get Sky Broadband unlimited in my area. This is good news.

I've been with Sky since September and I find them superb. Rock solid connection, consistently high speeds with no variation at peak times. Due to my location I get pretty much 15 meg 24/7. All this for 12.50 a month and unlimited use, I'm well happy

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you Tal.

I think we may well switch. All I want is a good Xbox Live experience. Not really getting that at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast