Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Xbox 360 Slim + Netgear DG934G wifi issue

This is a discussion on Xbox 360 Slim + Netgear DG934G wifi issue within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My son has just purchased an Xbox 360 Slim to replace an old 360 that was given to him and ...

BTF2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Xbox 360 Slim + Netgear DG934G wifi issue

My son has just purchased an Xbox 360 Slim to replace an old 360 that was given to him and subsequently died.

Having completed the initial setup we are now stumbling at establishing a stable wifi connection with the Netgear DG934G router.

We have tried everything I can think of - disabling MAC address filtering, disabling WPA, static IP address, dynamic IP address, swapping channels, etc.

Having failed utterly throughout all of these attempts, it finally reported a connection when I switched the password and mac address filtering back on. However, it later disconnected and it was back to the same issue (i.e. no wifi connection to the router) for an hour or so before we managed to establish another connection.

Currently we find ourselves connected but unable to progress beyond a certain point in the Xbox Live setup. Since I don't appear to have much control of when I connect to the router, let alone how, I am struggling to figure out how I will permission the firewall to overcome this second issue.

One thing I did notice is that the network setup screen shows the wireless mac address as being the same as the wired mac address. I don't know if this is significant, but since I permissioned that mac address (which showed up as trying to connect in the router's wifi settings section), and we have since connected, it seems unlikely.

It's possibly worth mentioning that there are numerous other wireless devices successfully connected to this router, including a PS3, a Wii, several laptops, a couple of ipods and a smart phone! The only thing I have never got working are Nintendo DS consoles, which I eventually gave up on.

Anyone got any ideas on how to unravel this?

Cheers,

BTF2
      Last edited by BTF2; 24-10-10 at 11:17 AM.

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: Xbox 360 Slim + Netgear DG934G wifi issue

your best bet is use ethernet i do and never looked back wifi is a nusence yes its great without wires but it has interference issues so use ethernet i dont have any issues with my 360 cause im using ethernet to

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would go for ethernet if I could, but routing the cable from my son's bedroom to the router would be a nightmare, so it's a no-go I'm afraid.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

A Homeplug network is the way to go. Wires from the wall to the device only and ethernet speed. This applies especially to gaming consoles, in particular if you have other PCs using wireless.
      Homeplug | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

BTF2 (24-10-10)

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      A Homeplug network is the way to go. Wires from the wall to the device only and ethernet speed. This applies especially to gaming consoles, in particular if you have other PCs using wireless.
      Homeplug | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk
      I know it makes sense but my router is on the end of a couple of extension cables (through necessity) so wonder if that will affect the Home Plug connectivity?

The other thing to consider is that, these days, I am not a gamer and when I was it was strictly PC gaming for me, as I never could get the hang of those controllers! My point here is that the Xbox 360 S is number 2 son's project and I simply can't afford the outlay of additional gear to make it work, not least because his older twin brother andsister have just started uni.

Anyway, I appear to be making some headway, which I'll pop into a separate reply.

Cheers,

BTF2

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

UPDATE: having called through to the Xbox support folks I agreed to try an ethernet cable by way of further troubleshooting the issue.

Predictably this connected right through to Xbox Live straight away without any problem, although as I say it is impractical as a solution as the cable runs through a door and across the landing at waist height on its way to the router at the foot of the stairs.

Anyway, just for laughs I unplugged the cable and tried to connect wirelessly (without powering off the machine) and it worked straight away. Bizarrely, it worked using settings I had since purged from the router and the Xbox 360 S, i.e. it was assigned an IP address that we had previously tried to assign statically through the 360 config and the router config. Weird, since both devices had been powered off and on since, plus had the configuration removed manually!

Powering the 360 off and on at this point put me back to square one - i.e. I couldn't connect and the previously working WPA key had disappeared and had to be re-entered.

Still no joy, so I re-entered the settings to assign a particular IP address to the 360's MAC address when it requested a dynamically assigned IP address, powered on the 360, went through the network setup again, and this time it worked.

So, it looks like I am getting somewhere, but worryingly I have no idea how!

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

yea home plug would be a alternative or you can buy a 30 metre long ethernet cable some can go 50 or 60 metres

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Well to me it sounds like a dodgy xbox, it shouldnt intermittently work when it feels like it. Although I would recommend:
      1. Reset the router using the reset hole on the back
      2. Run a wifi scanner (inssider) where the xbox needs to be and check what channels any neighbouring networks are and make a note of any free channels.
      3. Go into the router settings and change the wifi channel to that of a free one you've noted from #3
      4. Now try and connect the xbox using the default WPA key.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB