Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SkyBroadband. Constant lag spikes generally.

This is a discussion on SkyBroadband. Constant lag spikes generally. within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello there. For a while now i have been a subscriber to the skybroadband service. The service of the internet ...

DHarris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

SkyBroadband. Constant lag spikes generally.

Hello there.

For a while now i have been a subscriber to the skybroadband service. The service of the internet as a whole has been okey with no problems. dispite having a 20mb connection and only receiving 10mb. (Con)

being a gamer, i regularly play MMORG's, and having an internet connection is essential. Over this past week i have seen alot of changes within the service, that destroys any style of gaming and/or leisure experiences. i'am now receiving an awfall lot of Lag spikes which not only stops you from playing online games in general but also stopping any form of streaming video, such as Iplayer. This is a constant issue which happens frequently between 1minute upto every 30minutes. the lag spikes arnt predictable and desturb alot of internet interaction. I know i have no issues my end with hardware and software, because this problem has only just started this week, dispite the fact that my service was fine beforehand. Ive had no hardware or software updates during this period so i know its the internet service.

After ringing Sky. they have told me that the line is fine. Which it obviously isnt. To back my story a little further. Sometimes (not all the time) i use Iplayer while playing games. Both the streaming of Iplayer and games would freeze. After roughly 20seconds the connection is back with live streaming, but as a result i have lost any game connectivity.

Now.. I know Staff of Sky arnt about to read this on a forum which is pretty typical for any service, but i would love to have a reason which doesnt concern my end. Have subscribers been transferred onto a lagger service? if so, why?

Shall i contact Watchdog?? exploring the internet ive noticed alot of users are having the same issue. Please help............................

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: SkyBroadband. Constant lag spikes generally.

Firstly, you are on an UPTO 20mb service, this really depends on the distance to your telephone exchange, the nearer you are the quicker you go. Some don't see speeds above 2mb so you are doing quite well.

Post your router stats:- How to get your router statistics

Are you using wireless, if so try a wire.

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

In all honesty do you really expect not to have issues while running Iplayer and gaming?

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

MMORPG's have a very small bandwidth requirement, something in the region of 20-30 meg an hour, you can happily play them on dial up so running them with another process shouldn't be a problem on broadband. (I use windows media player TV and iplayer while playing)

What could be an issue is your anti-virus scanning the iplayer stuff as it is coming in slowing down your PC in general, it happens a lot to people who have routine scans set up and forget about them making it look like lag.

One thing to try is to download the mp4 off iplayer before you start and then view it from your home PC rather than trying to stream it.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

reech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penn
      Thanks

You've also posted over here, so I've posted my reply here as well, 'cos I'm suffering the same thing over the last week, and it's not my computers, but I don't think it's Sky either...
      SkyBroadband Constant Lag Spikes generally

---
      Telia's having trouble routing some stuff around at the moment; this is most noticeable if you're playing online gaming on any European hosted servers; in particular Blizzard (for Warcraft and Starcraft, housed in Paris) and Steam (I play Left4Dead on some Dutch servers, 'cos I'm funny like that.)

I don't browse the Steam forums that often, but have thrown info into a thread on the Warcraft Trechnical Support forum, and it seems to be narrowed down to Telia. I don't know much about them, but I think they're a 'trunk' for internet connections, and its within their network that things seem to be blarping.

So it isn't likely to be sky, sadly - and when it's a third party, it can taker anything from a week to a month to be solved... It's definitely been like this since Saturday for me.
      ---reech---

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Telia have been a rubbish host for WoW ever since the game launched, their horrible track record is all over the WoW forums.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Btcc22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joss View Post
      In all honesty do you really expect not to have issues while running Iplayer and gaming?
      Facepalm. Read the post properly?

On another note, several friends on Sky LLU have told me that they've had issues with their connection recently and haven't been able to watch videos or play games without issues.

reech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penn
      Thanks

Seems to have come back to 'normal' for now - looks like Telia have got their act together. See if the OP responds
      ---reech---