Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Heads up to Steam users on Connect

This is a discussion on Heads up to Steam users on Connect within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; To the OP : What's your IP address start with out of curiosity?...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Heads up to Steam users on Connect

To the OP: What's your IP address start with out of curiosity?

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reapercore View Post
      Because Sky's shaping/throttling of Connect is idiotic, they're meant to only shape/block P2P, and stuff like VOIP and Streaming. However they've implemented it terribly, thus everything gets shaped/throttled/packets dropped etc. (This has been confirmed by someone at Sky) I contacted Valve, they said it wasn't anything there end, and yes I could connect by tethering my mobile, and on <random> wifi connection.

You sound like a Sky employee to me, always the way, blame everyone but your own flawed traffic management system
      My point was that you did not explain what you had done in the first post, and it seemed that you were just automatically blaming Sky.

I agree, Connect is a steaming pile of donkey droppings. I would never sell it to anyone. If someone called up to order Broadband and they could only get connect, i'd tell them to go elsewhere.

But as I said, I have accessed it on a Connect service after you posted that, and had no issue. This was during the evening as well, so its not a blanket block.

The post about what your current IP address begins with is valid. Sky released a new block of IP addresses beginning with 2. It may be that you have one of these addresses, and thats whats causing the problem.

Good thing is, since Sky IPs are dynamically addressed, just turn off your router for 2 mins and turn it on, and you'll get a different address. Maybe this is all thats needed to re-gain access

Reapercore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlewick Green
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Reapercore
      Hi who said Sky had paid for extra Bandwidth. There was rumours that was all I heard.
      It wasn't rumours, they purchased 30% more bandwidth for Connect, but clearly aren't using it.

It's not a DNS issue as I use Google DNS.

IP begins with 90.

And Smithy, the thing is it can... if they didn't have the traffic management in place, the service would be fine and acceptable. There was a 2 week period after the bandwidth was purchased at the end of August where the shaping wasn't in place and the internet was usable in the evenings.

dholdi is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

It wasn't rumours, they purchased 30% more bandwidth for Connect, but clearly aren't using it.
      I dont know for sure if they have or they havn't, however why would they not use it if they had ?

And Smithy, the thing is it can... if they didn't have the traffic management in place, the service would be fine and acceptable. There was a 2 week period after the bandwidth was purchased at the end of August where the shaping wasn't in place and the internet was usable in the evenings.
      The whole idea of traffic shaping is to make whats available give the same level of service to everyone, so if they didnt traffic manage it would be even worse.
      I doubt that certain sections of bandwidth can have different levels of traffic shaping applied to them.

Reapercore is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlewick Green
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      I dont know for sure if they have or they havn't, however why would they not use it if they had ?

The whole idea of traffic shaping is to make whats available give the same level of service to everyone, so if they didnt traffic manage it would be even worse.
      I doubt that certain sections of bandwidth can have different levels of traffic shaping applied to them.
      Right, you can shape traffic depending on what it's for. For example, Sky say they only shape P2P, streaming and VOIP during peak hours, this is easily done, however they just blanket throttle everything except for Xbox Live it would appear.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Reapercore
      Hi You said that on 07-09-10, 07:58 PM more bandwidth deployed? post #27
      It's been confirmed that Sky have purchased 30% more bandwidth for it's BT interconnects. This was a week ago, however a week later they've gone back to blanket throttling everything on Connect :|

Can't login to Steam, kicked off MSN/IRC whilst web browsing, although it's timing out most of the time... Connect still isn't fit for purpose
      But where did you read it

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It was briefed to all Sky tech support advisors a while back. Of course it's down to whether you 'believe' it or not, but personally, naive as it may be, I couldn't see Sky lying to their advisors.
      Last edited by User05; 27-09-10 at 12:17 AM.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

User05
      Hi I don`t think Sky were lying. It would be great for connect. The thing I am thinking about is the amount of exchanges Sky have unbundled lately I would say over 100 and all those exchanges had connect Customers that`s a lot of Bandwidth and if still unbundling. That could be the 30% instead of buying, Utilising the bandwidth. Working on the amount of connect Customers moving on to Sky LLU packages and the amount of bandwidth Sky could save.
      Sky could have meant acquiring 30% But said buying.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The service was so over subscribed that even with 30% increase there would still not be enough to go around, this is mainly because they do not apply their traffic policy properly, they allow the customer to download the internet so any bandwidth will be soon eaten up by the hogs.

nobroadband is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Southminster
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

It appears Sky are now blocking Steam from downloading, however both authentication and content servers are on the same IP block/port range so due to this you cannot log into Steam, or load any games without it being set to offline mode.
      Could it be with the introduction of "Steam Cloud" Steam started using a lot more bandwidth ?
      Have you got Steam Cloud turned on or off ? I found Steam runs just as well with it turned off & uses less bandwidth .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast