Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting my first xbox, can I change to a non sky routor if so anything i should know?

This is a discussion on Getting my first xbox, can I change to a non sky routor if so anything i should know? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Getting my first xbox, can I change to a non sky routor if so anything i should know? Also any ...

Sylar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Getting my first xbox, can I change to a non sky routor if so anything i should know?

Getting my first xbox, can I change to a non sky routor if so anything i should know? Also any xbox live problems on sky?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Getting my first xbox, can I change to a non sky routor if so anything i should k

Why do you want to change your router? Unless you want to connect 2 or more Xboxes, there is nothing wrong with the Sky one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Getting my first xbox, can I change to a non sky routor if so anything i should k

The sky routor is really bad it cuts out all the time bad wirless, it dont support N.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Then you may have other problems, have you asked for help? No one here would recommend using wireless for gaming, an ethernet connection will beat it every time.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well thats werid you should be able to use wirless for gaming skys fault if not of course ethernet is more stable but have a asked for help no i am only experiencing the level of quality i have with other isps..... its expected. Just want to make sure i got the best equipment possible

sbarkeri is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYSHI
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Of course you CAN use wireless for gaming, however we RECOMMEND that you don't, simply because wireless is far less stable than using ethernet and that isn't a problem that is bound to Sky, nor can Sky solve it. The router that comes with Sky, I have both the DG384GT and the Sagem which you have and have used them both with my PS3, Xbox and PC wireless adapters without any flaws. I would suggest you try moving the Xbox closer to the router and changing the wireless channel to see if that can fix the issue.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
      Well thats werid you should be able to use wirless for gaming skys fault if not of course ethernet is more stable but have a asked for help no i am only experiencing the level of quality i have with other isps..... its expected. Just want to make sure i got the best equipment possible
      You can use wireless for gaming, but why would you - it will create unnecessary higher pings in a lot of cases. Also, a bit of grammar wouldn't go a miss, mate.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Agree on the whole wireless thing with the others here hence why I spent several hours wiring and concealing ethernet cable when I setup my xbox's net access - worked out cheaper than buying a wireless adapter as well!
      Wireless N wont help you with gaming the additional bandwidth just isnt needed and Wireless G (54mbps) is more than quick enough for your internet connection which is at most 20mpbs. It's also completely useless if you havent got wireless N adapters in all your devices.
      If you have to use your own router then check the Extracting SKY router passwords section of this forum. Remember if you do this then SKY wont give you any support with any problems you may have unless you plug the original SKY one back in when you call.

hyped0 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rosendale
      Sky TV: Sky+ Multiroom
      Thanks

The only solution I think of with your issue is to turn off the computers/devices that you are not using.

Change the wireless channel to 3 (in most scenarios), 6 (which I find most stable and 11 (which is the best option and doesn't conflict).

See if anything improves after that?

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New model Xbox 360 is out in a few days,never had a problem on Live using Sky BB but i use an ethernet cable,if you need a longer cable they are dirt cheap on E bay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast