Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Occasional Lag

This is a discussion on Occasional Lag within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; So I play the xbox 360 on a regular basis almost everyday all day. We have the sky unlimited package ...

XGL_Lynx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ Multiroom
      Thanks

Thumbs down Occasional Lag

So I play the xbox 360 on a regular basis almost everyday all day. We have the sky unlimited package so in my eyes it should be fine with no lag.

This year the connection has been going up and down, for example, im playing call of duty MW2 and I have full 4 bar connection. Well sometimes the connection drops to 1 bar and then disconnects me from the game, then goes back up to a fine connection.

We are paying for a good connection and getting lag in return. Can anyone please help me? Its very irritating.
      (Im 15, and im the main user of the internet using the 360 and laptop for most the day. Im not the bill payer either)

2. Advertisement
      SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Occasional Lag

MW2 has a bad network anyway and uses host's instead of dedicated servers, so what you were probably experiencing was a bad connection to the host which I have been experiencing lately on MW2. Although if you think other wise and this happens to every game you are on please say so and I'm sure one of us will be able to help.

To me your connection looks perfectly fine. Your ping time is fine. Your upstream could be better, but for us to really know what your connection is really like we need your router's statistics. If you do not know how to get a hold of your router's statistics look in my signature below my post and it will tell you how to do it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah, I know its me because ive looked at the leader board connections and mine is the only one that is 1 bar. Here are my stats

Thanks

Looks like your connection has been capped, you could get an extra 1 or 2mb. But since your not the bill payer you can't really do anything about it unless you find a way to persuade your parents into ringing sky and asking them to remove the cap and raise the speed.

Wait for a more experienced user on this forum to probably help you with your 1 bar connection.

P.S are you using wireless when you are gaming? If that's the case try using a cable and see if that makes a difference

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

if the account holder has a password setup you can call as long as you know the password

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      if the account holder has a password setup you can call as long as you know the password
      You can, but going around the owner's back isn't a really good idea now is it? Especially if they find out.

Exchange:
      Thanks

oh yeh.. then there would be trouble.. "im sorry mum/dad, your going to kill me. i called sky and got our speed pumped up for free "

Lol what i mean is if the account holder cannot call(doesnt have time/cba with the hassle/isnt home) then you can ask them for the password and call sky instead. OP cant exactly do it behind the account holders back as he will have to ask for the password or they will have had to give it him previously.

DPA is there because the caller and the advisor will have potenially have access to billing information. if there was no access to this(i.e there is no personal info on the system) then it wouldnt matter if you are the billpayer or not, just a simple line reconfig

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      oh yeh.. then there would be trouble.. "im sorry mum/dad, your going to kill me. i called sky and got our speed pumped up for free "

Lol what i mean is if the account holder cannot call(doesnt have time/cba with the hassle/isnt home) then you can ask them for the password and call sky instead. OP cant exactly do it behind the account holders back as he will have to ask for the password or they will have had to give it him previously.

DPA is there because the caller and the advisor will have potenially have access to billing information. if there was no access to this(i.e there is no personal info on the system) then it wouldnt matter if you are the billpayer or not, just a simple line reconfig
      I see your point but still what if the parent doesn't want to give the password? Then what?

Exchange:
      Thanks

then the parent calls instead

if they dont want a family member or friend to have access to the account then they can decline a password as many people do. the reality of it is most people dont want to call sky and spend a long time going through setup checks/having to explain the problem(especially when they know nothing about it and they are calling because their child has asked them to).

generally if a parent calls regarding an issue like this they speak to the advisor for a minute or 2 and say "i dont know what im doing, i dont even use the internet, heres my son"

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah, now I know its definatly me, and it doesnt help ive got a clan match at in 15 minutes >
      I dont see why tho, if we have the unlimited deal and they have capped it then surly it shouldnt effect my gameplay, plus I dont see why they have capped it because we havent been downloading anything at all :S

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast