Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Occasional Lag

This is a discussion on Occasional Lag within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by XGL_Lynx Yeah, now I know its definatly me, and it doesnt help ive got a clan match ...

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Occasional Lag

Quote Originally Posted by XGL_Lynx View Post
      Yeah, now I know its definatly me, and it doesnt help ive got a clan match at in 15 minutes >
      I dont see why tho, if we have the unlimited deal and they have capped it then surly it shouldnt effect my gameplay, plus I dont see why they have capped it because we havent been downloading anything at all :S
      The cap of your download speed is probably something to do with either a fault on your line or DLM incorrectly setting the speed (like it usually does). The best way in most people's eyes is to call sky and ask them to manually set the speed.

Looks like your going to have to put up with the problems and go through the clan match with this. Also you haven't answered this yet but are you using wireless on your PS3/Xbox360 or a cable? It makes a huge difference because if your using wireless that could possibly be your problem and switching to an ethernet cable might solve it.

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

you arent capped for downloading to much, you are capped if your line is unstable or if DLM has picked up on a build up of errors/regular disconnections. DLM pretty much only caps a line if there is a setup fault(even if your filter setup is in the slightly wrong order). looking at your attenuation and SNR(with current speed) i wouldnt assume any major setup problems. you could however repost your stats from your test socket, its unlikely sky will reconfigure your line without you calling in the test socket anyway

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Are you gaming wirelessly?

XGL_Lynx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ Multiroom
      Thanks

Im using a wireless connection, the only problem with switching to wired is that I wont be able to get a wire long enough to get from upstairs to downstairs unless I find a way to move the router.
      Ill try get my dad or mum to phone sky, even though I have asked them before and they told me to do it myself, problem is (here comes the funny part) they ask me for the account owners D/O/B (Dads) haha, I dont wanna ask him because it doesnt sound great that I dont know. :P

Anyway, ill see if they can phone sky, thanks for your help!

Exchange:
      Thanks

You are capped, there's no question about that. However, the latency/drop-out issues are more than likely down to the wireless connection. Buy a longer ethernet cable and that'd be the issues sorted.

Exchange:
      Thanks

So is there a way to get the router upstairs? That would be much easier, unless you also need a long ethernet cable ?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XGL_Lynx View Post
      problem is (here comes the funny part) they ask me for the account owners D/O/B (Dads) haha, I dont wanna ask him because it doesnt sound great that I dont know. :P
      they shouldnt! if there is a password then they shouldnt be asking for DOB unless you are the account holder and if there is no password then they shouldnt go into the account at all unless speaking to the account holder. doesnt surprise me of course

you could get a long ethernet cable to run from router downstairs to game console or you could look into homeplugs(a bit more pricey)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just to get this staight, is it my fault its going slow?

Exchange:
      Thanks

well connecting wirelessly isnt a good idea for speeds and is dreadful for gaming! its nobodys fault really, the line is capped but it may be the fault of DLM or an internal wiring issue in the house or the router being switched off alot during the DLM period. i would say the most important step is to get a long ethernet cable or homeplugs, 5mb is enough you connect this way but there is no harm in calling sky and getting the line reconfigured

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's not so much anyones' fault, as such.

The wireless drop-outs - it's a bad idea to game wirelessly. You could change the channel on the router from auto to another channel, which would help a bit, but if you're serious about having good latency then forget wireless for gaming altogether.

The cap on your bit rate - hard to say whose 'fault' that would be as there are too many variables as to why it's capped. Set-up issues like extension cables, unfiltered sockets, faulty filters, extension socket issue, faulty faceplate or just internal wiring issues in general will mean sky's monitoring system will cap you from excessive crc errors. Or, on the other hand, DLM may have made incorrect profile changes and just need manually undone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast