Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

advice for attempt on xbox live set up

This is a discussion on advice for attempt on xbox live set up within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi,my daughter wants to set up xbox live for her son...as i know a bit about pc's ( but NOTHING ...

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

advice for attempt on xbox live set up

hi,my daughter wants to set up xbox live for her son...as i know a bit about pc's ( but NOTHING about x boxes) i have in my wisdom offered to try to help, having read up on set up of xbox live ( numerous pages i am now a little confused )..so this is what i have understood so far ( i think )..i intend to connect an ethernet cable from router to back of xbox then xbox to tv (or pc not sure on that one)..then to go into xbox settings etc etc to connect available network then to xbox live to register email address & subscription package ( although there is a free months trial i will go for first)..also, there was mention of a wireless adaptor somewhere in the searches i have used..i am not sure if that would be needed at all...would it ? the possible pc connection could be to a desktop or wifi enabled laptop ( if that helps ) but i think it will probably be to tv..the xbox has been connected to tv many times so the cables are there for that...so then, is what i am asking the correct way to set up xbox live & will/do i need wireless adaptor or am i totally wide of the mark ? any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, many many thanks

2. Advertisement
      UnhappyChappy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: advice for attempt on xbox live set up

Hi Worcesterman, I wish i knew the answers, i am looking to set my sons up too and have no idea what i'm doing.
      Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question and i, in turn may also get the help needed.

craig.hinds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01763
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi Chaps this is a sinch. Right kit reqired for wired xbox live.

Xbox306, AV cable, Power cable, TV, Grey ethernet lead (inc in most 360 boxes nowdays) ADSL modem router with eternet ports.

right set up your broadband with your desired ISP. connect the Xbox up as normal so you can get to the dashboard. right this is the hard bit. connect one end of the ethernet lead to the 360 and the other to the modem/router. go to setting and set up Xbox live. Thats it...

For wireless you need the wireless adaptor that fits on the back of the 360 and a wireless router. Just plug the adaptor in to the 360 and follow the setup for xbox live and net work settings in the dashboard.

any problem go to xboxlive.com and follow the FAQs.

worcesterman47 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: charles street 01905 724
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

well craig, thank you very kindly ..i have copied your instructions and will attempt to do them...although now you have explained it seems straight forward ( if there is such a thing in life ...i will/do expect some kind of hitch ( but thats technology today i guess ) but now i have a much much better idea of the set up i should be able to take it from there...if not...i will be back !! ! ...cheers again

UnhappyChappy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craig.hinds View Post
      For wireless you need the wireless adaptor that fits on the back of the 360 and a wireless router. Just plug the adaptor in to the 360 and follow the setup for xbox live and net work settings in the dashboard.

any problem go to xboxlive.com and follow the FAQs.
      Hi Craig... Thanks for this reply.

A sinch??...
      I use a router downstairs that is wired, my son connects to this by a thing in the front of his pc upstairs. So what else do I need please?.
      Sorry, but im not at all technical..

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UnhappyChappy View Post
      A sinch??...
      I use a router downstairs that is wired, my son connects to this by a thing in the front of his pc upstairs. So what else do I need please?.
      Sorry, but im not at all technical..
      I think most will agree that an ethernet connection, either by cable or Homeplug is faster and more stable than wireless. It sounds like your son has a wireless connection to his PC. It would be possible to connect the Xbox by bridging through the PC, but to be honest it is not recommended. You should consider buying a pair of Homeplugs, these could be used to connect the PC as well as the Xbox. These would also be cheaper than buying a wireless adapter for the Xbox which are very expensive.
      This will give you an idea what homeplugs are and what the do -
      Homeplug | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

I think he meant a cinch by the way
      Last edited by Isitme; 11-05-10 at 04:34 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

craig.hinds is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01763
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Eye yes that would be the correct spelling, as I was in school during the Thatcher years she thought she could omit some parts of school teaching. Right the easy way is an ethernet cable from router to xbox. The other way is using a pc and ics (internet connection sharing). wireless connection gets rid of wire around the house but is slower and prone to drop out. Iv not used the home plugs yet so I can't comment on that. As I have posted before go to xbox Xbox.com | Connect. sorry if the gramma and spelling is incorrect. Typing this using a g1 google phone.