Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky 'fibbing' has put a damper on my gaming activity.

This is a discussion on Sky 'fibbing' has put a damper on my gaming activity. within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Firstly hello to everyone on here. First time poster but this site has been my rock for almost 2 years ...

SpiderMike is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky 'fibbing' has put a damper on my gaming activity.

Firstly hello to everyone on here. First time poster but this site has been my rock for almost 2 years so a heartfelt thanks to those that have helped me. I felt now, though, was the time to chime in and ask for some personal advice.

My partner and I have lived in the same property for 3 years now and in that three years we have been with Sky and their unlimited broadband package.

We are prolific gamers. I'm talking hardcore. My partner has a hard-on for her 360 and I'm a Sony employee so it won't take more than one guess to find out which console I'm rocking out to. We also both utilise the PC for downloading movies from the PlayStation store via mediago as well as from Netflix.

Up until last week we averaged a max download speed of between 7600 and 7900 out of a possible 10meg. We're roughly 2 miles from the exchange, hence the loss, which I don't mind as the speeds have always been more than adequate. We never suffered drop outs, lag, hanging orange lights or anything until last Monday when the router seemed to hang on the orange light and briefly connect only to immediately disconnect.

We phoned Sky and they said we had errors on the line and could we use the master socket. It's worth pointing out our master socket is downstairs and we game upstairs through a secondary phone socket. All connections are wired to their respective consoles.

Anyway I took the router down and plugged it in only to receive the same problem so they sent an engineer, who came, saw, sorted and left without really explaining what the problem was. He also correctly installed the panel on the front of our master connection, which BT never bothered to do. Anyway we decided to leave the connection plugged in as the techie said we'd get a better signal.

Only we didn't.

We have just over 4meg, which shared between 3 devices has left us with a miriad of problems when creating servers (can't create more that 8 player games rather than 32) and a lot of latency issues.

Called Sky again and they saw that it was indeed low and they pushed 10meg down the line, which it couldn't take and keep booting me off so they tried 8meg which dropped to 7994 and that held for most of the day. Later on however I checked the router and we were down to 2036kbps so I gave them another call and they said that forcing the 7994 down the line was producing errors which was disconnecting me and at some point Sky put me down to 2meg so I could connect.

I told them about 3 years with ne'er a fault and the operative couldn't explain it. Ouyr line apparently just wont take 7mb anymore. The most they can give me 4096kbps which, again, shared between even myself and my partner has produced some undesired results.

I don't know what to do my end. I now have the router plugged into the test socket, per Sky's instruction but im stuck with 4meg but It's been fine with 7meg before. Is there anything I can do to boost the signal or are Sky correct?

Any and all help appreciated.

Many thanks.

Mike F.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky 'fibbing' has put a damper on my gaming activity.

Post some router stats and that will help people to diagnose any issues.
      If you can a set from both the master and the test sockets.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No problem.

Hopefully this is the correct page.

Master Stats:- http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...asterstats.png

Test Line stats:- http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r.../TestStats.png

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

you have some internal wiring problems, there is a 5db jump in the stats in test socket so your internal wiring is holding your speed back.

when you took your stats from the master socket did you just have master socket>adsl filter>phone + router(via skys short grey adsl cable)? are all sockets in the house filtered?

you need to try and disconnect all devices from your phoneline and retake your stats from the master socket with just a filter and skys adsl cable. if your stats dont improve to the degree they do in the test socket you will need to look into getting a new faceplate.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

What you really need to do to sort out your end of the connection is to fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket and run the router from that, this will ensure you get the best connection at your end and then any other problems are either the router or the external line/equipment.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      when you took your stats from the master socket did you just have master socket>adsl filter>phone + router(via skys short grey adsl cable)? are all sockets in the house filtered?

you need to try and disconnect all devices from your phoneline and retake your stats from the master socket with just a filter and skys adsl cable. if your stats dont improve to the degree they do in the test socket you will need to look into getting a new faceplate.
      We've only ever used the one socket. It used to be upstairs but now its the master socket. All the other sockets in the house are empty so those readings were just from the master socket, with the filter accommodating the router's grey wire and the phone line.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      What you really need to do to sort out your end of the connection is to fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket and run the router from that, this will ensure you get the best connection at your end and then any other problems are either the router or the external line/equipment.
      When the engineer came out he fitted a faceplate, as we never had one to start with. So how should I go about getting a new one fitted. Will it cost? Who should I approach for this??

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your internal wiring is causing interference. If you fit and use a filtered faceplate on the master socket, this will isolate your wiring and give you the best connection possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

They are very easy to fit, instructions are given with the plate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

At an attenuation of 30db and a sync speed of 4mb your SNR should be at least 20db from the test socket. If you ask me there's something still wrong with your line and it should be cabable of at least 14mb. My line at 36db attenuation easily syncs at 13.9mb.

Generally the lower the attenuation the shorter the line length and the higher speed you should get.

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      At an attenuation of 30db and a sync speed of 4mb your SNR should be at least 20db from the test socket. If you ask me there's something still wrong with your line and it should be cabable of at least 14mb. My line at 36db attenuation easily syncs at 13.9mb.

Generally the lower the attenuation the shorter the line length and the higher speed you should get.
      His noise margin won't be able to sustain the speed though surely?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast