Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xbox connection problems

This is a discussion on Xbox connection problems within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm trying to set up my Grandson's X-Box 360 on X-Box LIve. The X-Box reports the Network and Internet connections ...

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Xbox connection problems

I'm trying to set up my Grandson's X-Box 360 on X-Box LIve. The X-Box reports the Network and Internet connections are connecting and passing the tests but the final stage of connecting to X-Box Live fails.

The failure usually shows up as 'Can't Connect' but has also shown up as MTU problem (untrue as it's set to 1500) or error on ICMP. When attempting to connect I'm offered an Upgrade but that fails, sometimes immediately and sometimes after the download bar has completed.

I've been into the Sky Netgear (v1) router and set the X-box to IP 192.168.0.101 (which shows up correctly on the X-Box Settings Menu) for the correct X-Box MAC. I've set Ports UDP 88, UDP 3074 and TCP 3074 in Custom Services and set these in the Firewall (XBL1/2/3) .

However I still can't manage a connection to X-Box Live.

The network is via HomePlugs.

Is this a problem with the Sky Router or something else? Any help would be appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: X-Box LIVE on Sky BB - connection problems

Is this a new box? There was a report on here of someone who bought a banned box from Play, I think it was. Could you have the same problem.

I will move this to the Game section for more exposure.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Re: Xbox connection problems

Yes it is a new box and Yes it was bought from Play. However we've had an email from Microsoft saying we are authorised to use Live.

Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

have you tired setting a dhcp reservation for the xbox then setting it to be in a DMZ to avoid any potential port forwarding issues?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you had a look at this -
      Setting up Xbox 360 and Netgear V1 router for Xbox Live

Even if you have it might be worth another look, just in case you have missed something.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yes I tried all that. The most knowledgable response I've had (on the Official X-Box Forum) says the Sky Router should connect without any problems and they recommend I press the Reset button on the Sky Router and return the X-Box Network settings to default. The X-Box experts say having things like a static IP address for the X-Box and uPnP enabled is a sure way to cause problems. As yet I haven't had the opportunity to try this out but will do so tomorrow.

The link you pointed to is for people with NAT problems and that was the only one not to be highlighted on the X-Box diagnostics page!

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

ive had no issues on xbox live connecting i just wish they tell us what the update is for and what it features example bug fixes etc when theres updates cause its annoying not telling as for xbox live itself well its a ripoff with microsoft points and charging for subscription for it bloody money racket

Thanks

I've now come across a couple of other forums that suggest HomePlugs can be the issue 85Mbps Homeplug and Xbox 360 ?? and Windows Media Connect - Scenyx Entertainment Community . It's fair to say some of the problems are associated with Media Centre streaming but some also show some firmware for some HomePlugs may have been the problem.

heyho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

dms05 - I'm using 85mbps Homeplugs with the Xbox. the only issue I have with them is that when I do a test on Windows Media Centre (on the Xbox) I get a poor result but for gaming they have been excellent (I've just ordered a paid of 200mbps Homeplugs to see what happens with them)

By the way last night I decided to fix my Xbox IP address (it was set to DHCP before). Once I fixed it I got poor NAT results (it was ok via DHCP) so I went through and opened up all the relevant ports and forwarded it to the Xbox IP address and everything worked fine again. Maybe try opening up all the ports (I think there are a couple more to open)

Thanks

I've now had the opportunity to try using the X-Box with a direct LAN cabled connection to the Router and it works with everything set to default. So the problem does appear to be the HomePlug network. On other posts on other forums problems are highlighted with Solwise Homeplug firmware which can be updated by sending them back to Solware. However as we have a mixed HomePlug network of 14 and 85 MB/sec adaptors from two manufacturers the problem may be there. So I've tried simply using the Solware 85 Mb adaptors and removing the others and they definitely don't work. We are now considering our options!

Xbox.com | Xbox LIVE Help - Re: New to X-Box and can't connect to Live

85Mbps Homeplug and Xbox 360 ??

IPS Driver Error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast