Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Xbox live

This is a discussion on Xbox live within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm still not even activated yet for my Sky BB but was wondering has anyone had any experience of using ...

Mushroom7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton MRASH
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Xbox live

I'm still not even activated yet for my Sky BB but was wondering has anyone had any experience of using the netgear wireless router with Xbox live's wireless adapter? Just want to know if i've got any more problems to look forward to once i eventually get activated.

Cheers

Mushroom7

2. Advertisement
      simonstearn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newbury
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The USB wireless connects fine... the problem is it fails on MTU test once you are on because of the IP address range problem..

alyt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      so you cant use xboxlive on skybb . If thats the case i may cancel my order. Speaking to other people they say the netgear router is compatible but it may not be with the crap sky shove on it which is out of order if thats the case
      Last edited by alyt; 02-10-06 at 08:14 PM.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      because of the IP address range problem.
      In all fairness to Sky, this is been worked on and is only temporary

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

anonymouse91 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Goodmayes
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I'm using Xbox Live with Sky and its working fine. I just changed the IP addresses and its working fine. But I can't say that about the connection. I'm getting a really low speed when based on location and attenuation, I should get more.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

glad i asked, so where do you need to change ip address? in the router settings or in xbox dashboard? and what does it need to be changed to? I mainly use my internet connection for xbox live so i never would have considered sky BB if i knew of these problems.
      @NewsreadeR, have they announced about the fix? makes me feel a little better if they are working on it.

Mushroom7

alyt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cardiff
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Diagnosing Xbox Live Connections with the Xbox Dashboard

Many Xbox Live gamers set up a home network to connect their Xbox console to their broadband Internet connection. Most home networks use a home gateway (a combined cable/DSL modem and router), a stand-alone router, or a PC to share a single broadband connection. Setting up your home networking devices properly significantly improves your Xbox Live experience.

You can use the latest Xbox Dashboard tools to solve Xbox Live connection issues and learn more about your home network in order to optimize your Xbox Live experience. The Xbox Dashboard can run diagnostic tests based on three technologies: ICMP, MTU, and NAT.

Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)

For a great experience, your router or gateway must properly handle a certain type of Internet traffic called ICMP port unreachable traffic. ICMP stands for Internet Control Message Protocol. It’s not important that you know much about ICMP, but you should be sure your home gateway or router properly handles this kind of traffic.

How does ICMP traffic influence Xbox Live?
      If your router does not handle ICMP traffic properly, you won’t be able to connect to Xbox Live.

How can I tell if my home network properly handles ICMP traffic?
      With the latest update of the Xbox Dashboard, you can now determine whether your router or home gateway is handling ICMP traffic properly!

To see your ICMP test results in the Xbox Dashboard

1. Select Settings from the Xbox Dashboard.

2. Select Network Settings and then Connect.

3. From the Connect Status screen, press the Y button on your controller.

4. Press the A button to see diagnostic information. Find IC: x, where x is your ICMP test result of either 0 or 1. 0 means your router or home gateway has failed the ICMP test and is not compatible with Xbox Live. 1 means your router or home gateway has passed the ICMP test, and you’re good to go for Xbox Live!

What if my device doesn’t properly handle ICMP traffic?
      If the IC value is 0, the test failed and your device is not properly handling ICMP packets. Typically this is not a setting you can change, though you may be able to update your device’s firmware from the device manufacturer.

Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU)

One setting a router or gateway can influence is the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU). The MTU determines the largest datagram than can be transmitted by an IP interface (without it needing to be broken down into smaller units). So what does MTU have to do with playing games? Read on…

What does MTU do on Xbox Live?
      The MTU of your router or gateway must be greater than or equal to 1365. If it is less than 1365, you won’t be able to connect to Xbox Live.

How do I check my MTU size?
      There are two ways. You can check your router or gateway manufacturer’s documentation for your device’s MTU setting. Or, you can let Xbox Live help you. With the latest update of the Xbox Dashboard, you can now determine if your MTU setting is too small for Xbox Live.

To see your MTU setting in the Xbox Dashboard

4. Press the A button to see diagnostic information. Find MT: x, where x is your MTU test result of either 0 or 1. 0 means your MTU size is not 1365 or greater and it won’t work with Xbox Live. 1 means your MTU size is 1365 or greater and you’re good to go for Xbox Live!

What if my MTU size is not compatible with Xbox Live?
      If the MT value is 0, you have a router or gateway that is incompatible with Xbox Live because of its MTU setting. You’ll need to change the MTU setting on your device. See your device documentation to accomplish this.

Network Address Translation (NAT)

You might have both a PC and your Xbox console on your home network. When you have multiple devices on your home network sharing one Internet connection, the devices typically perform this sharing through Network Address Translation (NAT).

Note NAT is sometimes called Network Address and Port Translation (NAPT).

What does NAT do on Xbox Live?
      Not all devices perform this NAT function the same way. We’ve classified NAT types into three categories: open, moderate, and strict. Devices that perform strict or moderate NAT can limit the ability of gamers to find each other, participate in sessions, or hear each other on Xbox Live.

How do I find out my NAT type?
      If your router is Xbox Live Compatible certified, your NAT type is open. If you want to check the NAT type of any router, Xbox Live Compatible certified or not, you can do so using the Xbox Dashboard.

To see your NAT type in the Xbox Dashboard

4. Press the A button to see diagnostic information. Find NT: x, where x is your NAT type. 1 means open, 2 means moderate, and 3 means strict.

What does NAT mean to me and my friends?
      To make this easy for everyone, we’ve created a chart for your use.

-------------------To Open---To Moderate---To Strict
      From Open---------Yes-----------Yes----------Yes
      From Moderate-----Yes-----------Yes-----------No
      From Strict----------Yes-----------No-----------No

Suppose you want to host an Xbox Live game and you’re using a router that’s classified as open. Armed with that information and using the chart above, you can be confident that your router’s NAT type will not keep your friends (who may also be using routers) from finding your session, hearing your voice, and enjoying a great game.

But let’s say you’re behind a router that’s a strict NAT. When you want to host a game, you now have something to consider. Anyone else who’s behind a router that uses a moderate or strict NAT may not be able to connect to your session.

Let’s look at one final example going the other direction: you joining someone else’s game. Will you be able to participate fully with everyone in the game? If you have a moderate NAT on your home network, you can get an idea of what may happen by looking at the chart. If the players you want to play with are using strict NATs, you will likely experience problems. You may not be able to hear them and they may not be able to hear you. You may not be able to see those players at all.

Note NATs don’t affect lag; this is all about connecting to other players!

What does each NAT type mean?
      It doesn’t have to anything to do with security. A router performing “open” NAT is no less secure than a router performing “strict” NAT. The classification system boils down to something called a port assignment policy.

Open NAT means that either the port assignment policy is minimal or the router has a fully compliant version of UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) enabled by default.

Moderate NAT means that the port assignment policy is minimal, but there is address or port filtering taking place.

Strict NAT means the port assignment policy is aggressive.

**Taken from X-Box.com forums**

Hope this can help People using xbox live

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cheers for all that alyt, i'm sure it will come in useful if i ever do get connected. So is there a way of altering or increasing the ip range for xbox live?

Mushroom7

anonymouse91 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Goodmayes
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      All I had to do was to change the Xbox 360 (or Xbox)'s IP. My old router and network had IPs of 192.168.1.x and the Sky router is configured for 192.168.0.x so all I did was change the IP settings on the Xbox Dashboard to something like 192.168.0.6 instead of 192.168.1.6. The IP settings should be in the Settings section on the dashboard.

smokingreen is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse91 View Post
      All I had to do was to change the Xbox 360 (or Xbox)'s IP. My old router and network had IPs of 192.168.1.x and the Sky router is configured for 192.168.0.x so all I did was change the IP settings on the Xbox Dashboard to something like 192.168.0.6 instead of 192.168.1.6. The IP settings should be in the Settings section on the dashboard.
      Thats not your external IP, just the IP of your xbox in your network, nothing really to do with Sky, except that they supplied a netgear router which has a 192.168.0.x range as opposed to 192.168.1.x.

You mention earlier that your connection speed is not so hot, have you found that this affects you when playing live, or is it just poor dl speeds?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast