Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Xbox live

This is a discussion on Xbox live within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've never had a problem with the maximum transmission unit size (yet). I am not sure what you can do. ...

Just Cause is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I've never had a problem with the maximum transmission unit size (yet). I am not sure what you can do. On my other netgear router you could manually amend the MTU size.

I'm going to test my MTU size now to see what it is.

Checked: Mine is 1472 so it may be worth checking.

You can do this by entering the following to a command prompt

ping www.google.com -f -l xxxx

Replace xxxx with the packet size you want to send and you can use any web address. I started at 1470 and worked up from there. If you get a reply you can send a packet of that size. If it says 'Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set' the packet size is too big. Try a smaller size until you get a reply.

The minimum packet size for XBL is 1365. it might be worth cutting to the chase and try this size first.
      Last edited by Just Cause; 05-10-06 at 08:02 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Shadow UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newbury
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by cleverdave2k View Post
      I got connected today all excited went to connect to live and getting the mtu error so i took the advice off here and changed the 360 address to 192.168.0.6 and the gateway to 192.168.0.1 of the router and still having the same problem ive even tryd making a dmz with no luck can anyone help
      Hi sorry to hear your dilema ref xbox live.
      I have the same issues mine fails at the mtu test.
      The sky router i recieved was set at 1500 so no issues there?
      After many many many calls to various sky techies around the world i have come to the conclusion that we all have internet moles.
      Allegedly these small creatures thrive upon ip addresses and this will stop you from connecting.
      However after reading many of the posts on here it seems that the ip range that we have been allocated are poo for the moment. Xbox requires to identify your subscription and this can not be done becuase the site is blocking our ip range .
      this will be rectified but as for when who knows??????
      So your options are:-)

A) sit and wait
      B) leave skybb
      C) moan a lot ( i like this one as i find my sarcasm skills seem to be improving daily)

vishal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenton Road (LWKROA)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      i have a 360, using live working for me no problems,

i am in the ip range which doesnt seem to have any problems accessing websites such as described by other users, so that probably has something to do with it. i didnt change mtu or any port forward settings, which is fine if you are not hosting the game. im pretty sure the 360 makes use of upnp anyway,

alyt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      im on connect and get access to live with no probs, i also dont seem to get much lag, fingers x things will stay that way.

Shadow UK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newbury
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by vishal View Post
      i have a 360, using live working for me no problems,

i am in the ip range which doesnt seem to have any problems accessing websites such as described by other users, so that probably has something to do with it. i didnt change mtu or any port forward settings, which is fine if you are not hosting the game. im pretty sure the 360 makes use of upnp anyway,
      Hi v what is your ip range iask so i can attempt another call to sky to get mine changed.
      mine is
      90.193.***.***

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      @Shadow

The ip should change when you leave your router off and reboot - its dynamic and should be different on every reboot of the router theoretically

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      indeed or use the command ip rrelease and renew the router may try hold onto the ip address so make sure you hard reboot using the reset button not ideal.

its an ip issue so they need to get there finger out, not sky we have given them the rangers but heh feel free to phone tier 1 and moan at them

mickeyb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: leicester central
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi i use xbox live with my 360 using the wireless adapter and i have no problems whatsoever.Doing a network test shows everything is fine and i have left the upnp turned on on the router.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NowTV 40/10 & VM 200 Gamer
      Router: Netgear R7000 with XWRT-Vortex
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks
      @ Mushroom

i previously had problems with Xbox Live. so what i did was set up static IP address to my 3 pc's and my xbox and turned DHCP off. after this i haven't had any problems with Xbox Live.

I played PGR3 online for about 4 hrs without any lag or problems at all.

also when i download stuff of the marketplace it seems to download pretty quick.

with regards to setting up static IP address i'm sure if you search around these forums you will find out how to do this.

also you will need to open up the following ports on the router 88 & 3074. again how to do this will be on the fourm.

hope this info is useful and fixes any problems you might have.

Mushroom7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton MRASH
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cheers andrewjr, i've cancelled sky bb now as i was getting too frustrated waiting for activation. I think a +1 month wait is unacceptable no matter where the blame lies. My wait might be longer now as i've got to wait for sky to cancel me and then for a new activation but the thought of the problems i was going to face once activated weren't filling me full of confidence anyway. Only now do i realise what i was paying 25 a month for with Zen. I hope the rest of you that are still having problems get sorted out soon, either with Sky or not. Might give them another go in 12 months if i hear good things but at the moment they just can't provide me with what they say they can offer.

Mushroom7

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast