Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Streaming Issues

This is a discussion on Streaming Issues within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been trawling the net for an answer and have ended up very confused. I will try and keep ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Streaming Issues

I have been trawling the net for an answer and have ended up very confused. I will try and keep it as brief as possible.

I have a laptop with Vista, standard Windows Firewall, Xbox 360 connected to standard black Sky Netgear router and AVG as anti-virus software.

In a nutshell, media sharing via Media Player is very hit and miss for me and always has been since I moved from XP on my PC to Vista on laptop. When selecting Video Library on the Xbox dashboard, finding folder and selecting/playing files is very slow (sometimes the Xbox cannot 'see' any folders at all). The only way I can get it to work is to wait at least 10 seconds between moving through each folder to play files. If I select files as soon as the page loads it never works. Plus sometimes when I select Play to select a file, it will 'think' for a while and then give me a message saying "lost connection to the pc" or "media format not supported".

I have every single thing ticked under my Exceptions tab in Windows Firewall. I have tried turning off the Firewall and Resident Shield in AVG ( which I think is a Firewall?) but both make no difference.

This is driving me mad as it always takes about 5-10 mins to get something to work and I have a friend that has an Xbox, Vista but Norton with no problems whatsoever. Browsing and selecting files/folders is instant.

Can anyone help ? I have a list of things here I use and have no idea which one (or ones) is/are causing the problems.

Yours hopingly

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Streaming Issues

If it is the free version of AVG you are using I would advise changing it. Any of the ones listed in this thread would be better. -
      Mcafee? / CD issues?

This may not fix your problem but it is worth a try, I found AVG to be more bother than its worth..

If you are using the paid version, I know nothing about it so can't comment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If it is the free version of AVG you are using I would advise changing it. Any of the ones listed in this thread would be better. -
      Mcafee? / CD issues?

This may not fix your problem but it is worth a try, I found AVG to be more bother than its worth..

If you are using the paid version, I know nothing about it so can't comment.
      I have the free version and have found out that this one does not have a firewall so is it likely to be this causing the problem ?

Maybe more likely to be the windows firewall or router or another setting on the laptop ?

Thanks

Even if it does not have a firewall it can still slow things down. Uninstall it and install one of the recommended free ones. AVG Free has dropped from being the best free AV to one of the poorest, it is little more than an advert for the paid version.

If you want one with a firewall try - Firewall AntiVirus Software Free Download from Comodo

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Even if it does not have a firewall it can still slow things down. Uninstall it and install one of the recommended free ones. AVG Free has dropped from being the best free AV to one of the poorest, it is little more than an advert for the paid version.

If you want one with a firewall try - Firewall AntiVirus Software Free Download from Comodo
      Right, I removed AVG on Sunday night and installed Avast. Tried streaming and hey presto - it was instant and worked perfectly.

Tried it again last night and it was back to its usual - taking a while to load folders/files and then when I selected Play "Loading" appears at the top of the screen and then I get the "connection to the PC has been lost".

I really am on the verge of waving the white flag on this now

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you trying to stream wirelessly? if so that's the likely cause of the issue...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      you trying to stream wirelessly? if so that's the likely cause of the issue...
      Yes I am but that is what the dongle is for isn't it - to connect wirelessly. Others seem to be able to stream wirelessly without issues.

The xbox/router/laptop combination seem to have minds of their own. One minute is streams perfectly (not often), then it will be really slow but gets their in the end and the next, it won't stream at all.

Thanks

You could try changing the channel in the router. Download Inssider from the link below and use it to discover the networks operating in your area. Choose a channel as far from those in use as possible.

Using wired ethernet/Homeplug connections is far better.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You could try changing the channel in the router. Download Inssider from the link below and use it to discover the networks operating in your area. Choose a channel as far from those in use as possible.

Using wired ethernet/Homeplug connections is far better.
      Have installed Inssider. I am using channel 13 while others in my area are 1, 6,7 and 11 so not much I can do there by the look of it ?

I have WEP security if that helps ?

Thanks

It looks like it. Unfortunately BTs 'superduper reach to the bottom of the garden home hubs' also reach into others houses and can interfere with their signal. The more people that use wireless the worse it becomes. I would stick to wired connections.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast