Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Streaming Issues

This is a discussion on Streaming Issues within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just tried something else out. Using channels 1 or 13 wirelessly - xbox very slow in opening folders and when ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Streaming Issues

Just tried something else out.

Using channels 1 or 13 wirelessly - xbox very slow in opening folders and when attempting to play files gives me "connection has been lost"
      But using channels 1 and 13 wired - xbox streams things fine.

But I use the laptop wirelessly all of the time to browse the web and for xbox live - both work perfectly. So why so different when trying to stream media ?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When you plug into the ethernet ports, you are not connecting by wireless so the channel has nothing to do with it.

Depending on what you are streaming, it can take a lot of bandwidth. In your case wireless is just not able to supply it. If you tried to stream wirelessly from the web, you would probably find it constantly buffering.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      When you plug into the ethernet ports, you are not connecting by wireless so the channel has nothing to do with it.

Depending on what you are streaming, it can take a lot of bandwidth. In your case wireless is just not able to supply it. If you tried to stream wirelessly from the web, you would probably find it constantly buffering.
      It is just so hit and miss though. I would understand it if it would not stream ever. At least this rules out the firewall or anti-virus software then.

I am trying to get my head around what order things are done in. When streaming does it go from laptop > router > xbox and so by plugging laptop into router it bridges the gap between the first 2 devices ?

Jambab is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If it is the free version of AVG you are using I would advise changing it. Any of the ones listed in this thread would be better. -
      Mcafee? / CD issues?

This may not fix your problem but it is worth a try, I found AVG to be more bother than its worth..

If you are using the paid version, I know nothing about it so can't comment.
      Matter of opinion really, i like AVG because its lite and doesnt use up much resources.

Jambab is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBee View Post
      It is just so hit and miss though. I would understand it if it would not stream ever. At least this rules out the firewall or anti-virus software then.

I am trying to get my head around what order things are done in. When streaming does it go from laptop > router > xbox and so by plugging laptop into router it bridges the gap between the first 2 devices ?
      Ye if your on wireless, then it goes from your xbox>router>computer/laptop.

Try connecting a cable to your router and seeing if that helps, but i dont think its your computer thats the fault.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12