Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I Can NEVER Get a 4 Bar Connection on CODMW2 !!

This is a discussion on I Can NEVER Get a 4 Bar Connection on CODMW2 !! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; What this ping thing about then in terms of my xbox360 and wireless/net connection. I get ping of 50 all ...

mnavarra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hengoed
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I Can NEVER Get a 4 Bar Connection on CODMW2 !!

What this ping thing about then in terms of my xbox360 and wireless/net connection. I get ping of 50 all the time and 3 or 4 bars on call of duty mw2.

The above links show 50 ping, 1 jitter and down load 10-11mb and 750kb upload.

If i get my faceplate through, will i see any differences as the guy at sky cst told me he synced me at 11mb so i assume thats max i would get even with face plate and new home plugs - or will i suddenly jump past 11mb sync with no calls to CSt

Also, do i need / worth calling cst on max delay points???

2. Advertisement
      cornishsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Helston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Your ping is a measurement of time between you and another computer/server, Its always 50 because you are are selecting Birmingham as your ping 'to' location. If you select london or anywhere else you will see a different number. When you play 360 some games have manual host selection and others auto. This is where a player with 'The best connection' will be selected as the host for all the other players to 'Ping' to. So your ping times will vary all the time. If its manual host, it will be the player who creates the game lobby, or whoever is in the lobby first. Im trying to be very layman about this explanation are you following? sorry if not.

Modern warfare 2 has auto host selection, which is actually broken on the 360 version, and if just 1 american joins a game of all uk guys it will switch to give them host at the start of the next game being played. If you end up in a lobby of all UK players you would be extremely lucky, in mw. Its very rare indeed.

I hope this helps in sort of way, I know others here will probably be able to give you some very tecky explanations.

Basically, the lower number the ping, the better, as the people playing the game will all be seeing the same actions at the same time, rather than pressing fire for example, and seeing your kill happen half a second later. This is why playing people in US and even worse AUS is a complete pain.

VDubber is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

other than changing isp, has anyone managed to fix the ping issues on a Sky Connect connection specifically?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You won't on Sky Connect, it is the package itself that is the problem.

VDubber is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

so the only option is literally to change isp

Thanks

Yeh if thats something your going to look into, then i'd suggest/recommend an isp that has a latency monitoring service, such as aquiss, bit pricey but fantastic services, in the end i guess we all get what we pay for lol. But have a hunt around see what you can find.

wannabgeek is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Clacton-on-sea
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cornishsky View Post

Modern warfare 2 has auto host selection, which is actually broken on the 360 version,
      Would this auto host problem be the same on ps3. And have you got a recommendation for a better isp ps. As i too are having BIG problems with ping issues on sky. Cheers
      1.16 direct from Clacton-on-sea,s Holland Rd Exchange
      [1.61 Road]

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Are you using wireless? if so, try a wire, I have no ping issues with Sky.

Thanks

The PS3 version, from what i know does not have the same issues, a patch was released late December that fixed it. Tho there is a massive campaign going on at the minute for them to add a Local Search feature, such as the one in world at war.

To test your pings on console 360/PS3 you could try playing a game such as call of duty 2, with some friends, this game actually will show you your pings in numbers rather than bars.
      From this you will all be able to ascertain who is the better host ping wise. Because of the 360/PS3 networks act so differently online to that of a PC gaming setup, i.e Dedicated servers etc, you will actually have higher pings on average.

To give you an idea of what i mean, on COD 2 on 360, my brothers ping to me is about 79ms, yet he only lives 9 miles away. Now if I ping him via a PC connection its like 10ms,
      this is due to the extras, like messages and party chats etc, we have on say xbox live and the PS3 networks.

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Thanks

if you are playing on the 360 and you are on connect then you have 2 issues, firstly the 360 version has the already mentioned problem of the hosting issues, until that is corrected on 360 with a patch then that wont go away but secondly any of you who are using connect b4 midnight you have no hope watsoever, there is no quick fix or anything of the sort and your only option unless you only play after midnight is to change provider as i did.

ring sky say you are not happy with the service,it is unnacceptable and they have broke their t and c they set out,get mac code,dont mention cancelling just say you are migrating to another isp,give new isp mac code,then the new isp set you up and running, once that is done ring sky cancel and if they refuse(which is highly unlikely as they too know themselves know that connect is ****) say you will get ispa and ofcom involved and finally enjoy your new provider's service which i currently am,gordan ramsay DONE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast