Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

need some homeplug advice please guys...

This is a discussion on need some homeplug advice please guys... within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi all, i have a friend who recently got sky bband wireless etc. he has the netgear router, it is ...

sgll1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

need some homeplug advice please guys...

hi all, i have a friend who recently got sky bband wireless etc. he has the netgear router, it is located dwnstairs and he wants to be able to play the ps3 which is upstairs in his room. only problem here is the very very weak signal he has.

now from what i been reading on this board, it seems as if the homeplugs may help. but being new to them and not even heard of until i read here. i dont know what to tell him about them, ie what set up he needs etc.

so im hoping one or two of you guys here can help and point me in the right direction. i have found a site for homeplugs, but i dont know what or how many etc..

the site im looking at is Flashbyte Net Ltd Solwise HomePlugs

can anyone help and point me in right direction plse,,,,

thanks
      dan

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: need some homeplug advice please guys...

You need 2 of these minimum to set up a network, One near the router and one near the PC/Console. Connect an ethernet cable from the router to the first one and the same from the second one to the device.

Have a look on eBay, there are some good deals there, including some by Solwise.-
      Home plugs, Adaptors, Wireless Networking, Other Networking items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Get at least the 85mbps type, don't buy the 14mbps which usually sell a good bit cheaper. They are a bit slow for modern internet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: need some homeplug advice please guys...

I am currently using these ones from Amazon

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

They work very well and as a added bonus they fit in a normal width socket. Some other ones are huge taking up 3 socket spaces in total.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!