Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Why canít I play Counter Strike with my Brother?

This is a discussion on Why canít I play Counter Strike with my Brother? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am asking a question on behalf of my brother who is a SKY BB user I have a cable ...

Kudoss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Why canít I play Counter Strike with my Brother?

I am asking a question on behalf of my brother who is a SKY BB user I have a cable modem and my brother is on SKY BB, I have configured my router to allow STEAM to through my router and I know the ports I have allowed to go through the router are correct, but whenever he sends me an invitation to play CS with him I get Server not responding. Which is really frustrating to say the least? Itís the same if I start a server and ask him to join in on a game with myselfÖ I get the same message server not responding.

I had a look at my brother router and there is no menu for port forwarding or port triggering. So how are you supposed to tell the router which ports to open if there are no options to state otherwise? I have not tried yet removing my connection from the router and connect directly to my PC instead of going through the router. Although I donít think this is the case here because I can play with other buddies online with CS who are cable customers and not SKY and we can play all night long without any issues so again the bottom line questions is who is at fault here Virgin Media or SKY. Which is a bit like the question which came first the chicken or the egg?
      So who is at fault here me or him or both?

I have the following ports open on my router
      Gaming and Client Traffic UDP 27000 Ė 27015
      Counter Strike MP UDP 27015 Ė 27030
      Counter Strike TCP 27014 Ė 27050

Now I am astute enough to now with these ports open I am allowing CSS to connect to my router and allow anybody who I invite to play CSS with myself and connect to my computer.

Now with regards to SKY BB I have not a clue what needs to be done because itís ADSL and not cable I would imagine the fault lies somewhere with SKY.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Why canít I play Counter Strike with my Brother?

I had a look at my brother router and there is no menu for port forwarding or port triggering.
      Niether Virgin or Sky are to blame, you have to set up Port forwarding, which is done by using the Services and Firewall functions in the Sky router. You will find out how to do this in PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model Select the router and click the link at the top right after the first page.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Niether Virgin or Sky are to blame, you have to set up Port forwarding, which is done by using the Services and Firewall functions in the Sky router. You will find out how to do this in PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model Select the router and click the link at the top right after the first page.
      Yeah I done this with my brothers router but it is still the same unable to connect to server.

Oh and thanks for the website, I was thinking about this one and could not remember the name of the website.

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the portforwarding is done correctly it should work. The only other thing I can think of that would cause the problem is the firewall. Is he running a 3rd party firewall in addition to the Windows one?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If the portforwarding is done correctly it should work. The only other thing I can think of that would cause the problem is the firewall. Is he running a 3rd party firewall in addition to the Windows one?
      Oh yeah I remember seeing this on his router so that's where to set up all your rules. You see I could talk a backside of a donkey when it comes to Cable modems but my ADSL is somewhat limited, although ganted the difference between an ADSL router and a cable router is not that much.

We shall take a look at this later, thank yoiu for the link and I shall keep you postd when we get this loading.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I think I know where we are going wrong.