Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poor connection strength when playing MW2 Xbox 360

This is a discussion on Poor connection strength when playing MW2 Xbox 360 within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Been have some problems with poor connection(1 or 2 bars)when playing MW2.I was given some advice to make some ...

richie001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cheltenham
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Poor connection strength when playing MW2 Xbox 360

Hi,
      Been have some problems with poor connection(1 or 2 bars)when playing MW2.I was given some advice to make some adjustments to my router(which i believe is the Black Netgear V2)Here is the Advice i was given:-

If you are having a problems with lag check the following:

* This can be caused by the amount of bandwidth that the host has. When playing the game online, the minimum speed of your network should be 128kbps. The ideal network speed for playing the game online is 768kbps.

* Disable any firewall or security features on your router

* Set port forwarding on your router to the IP address of your Xbox 360. This game uses port 3074 (UDP/TCP)

- Place your Xbox 360 into the DMZ of your router

- If both fail, disconnect your router and try the game. If it works regularly at this point something about your router may not be completely compatible with the specific needs of this game. Check with your router manufacturer and Microsoft's Xbox Live Connection FAQ for additional steps that may need to be done to resolve the issue you are having.

- You can also check the following link to verify that you have an Xbox Live compatible router.

NOTE: If setting port forwarding or DMZ helps your connection issue, you may want to assign your Xbox 360 a static IP address within your home network. This can help to ensure that the configurations you made do not need to be done again.

NOTE: Many broadband internet modems are coming with routing capabilities built in. Please contact your internet service provider to determine if your internet modem has an integrated router. If it does, they should be able to assist you with the steps above for setting up your router.

* Once you have verified that your network setup is not the cause of the issue, try the following

- Try connecting to a different server. Some servers may have other players connected to them that you do not have an optimal connection with. To do this simply exit the game and select Find Game again it the Xbox Live main menu.

- Back out to the main menu and select Xbox Live and then attempt to join a game.

- Run your Xbox Network Self Test to see how strong your NAT is currently set to. Turn on your Xbox 360 without a disc inside and go to the system blade (last blade on the right), select "Network Settings" then choose "Test Xbox Live Connection" and let the test run.

My Nat is open.

Is it worth making this adjustments and if so how do i make these adjustment i know nothing about computers/routers and don't want to make any mistakes.
      These are my router stats
      System Up Time: 24:01:18
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 229422 130942 0 484 1113 15:35:45
      LAN 100M/Full 142299 257428 0 773 398 24:01:13
      WLAN 11M/54M 26272 0 0 32 0 24:01:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5019 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49 db 28 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 21 db

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Poor connection strength when playing MW2 Xbox 360

other members will come in to help you but in the meantime i can offer some advice

firstly i also am a regular mw2 user on the 360 and i can tell you its partly down to the game servers which dont seem to be reliable on a regular basis,sometimes poor bar rating is down to the host in the match,ive had max bars(4) one game then the following match i would fluctuate down to 2.

when searching for a game what ms number does it say when the percentage is going up while the search is looking? mine is 50ms for example

do you connect to the router with a cable or wirelessly with the xbox? wireless is unreliable with gaming and a cable is a must

Test Result

use the above link to test your connection speed and post your results here(use the test socket behind your bt telephone socket to do this test,that way you wont get any inteferance or slowdown on the line when running the test.

lastly a common tip that sky broadband gamers are given is to ring sky tech support and ask to be put through to cst and ask for them to change your max delay to 8,this helps with ping in games.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Poor connection strength when playing MW2 Xbox 360

Your stats are quite good really. If I was being picky, perhaps adsltwo+ is generating a few errors on the line - you're not having intermittently slow page loading or anything are you?

Are you connecting wirelessly? If so, gaming wirelessly isn't a great option. Connect up an ethernet cable and try it out then - you should see an improvement. When I've played mw2, I'd get pings of around 50ms and 3/4 bars (I think it's out of 4 bars? Barely play it haha) with my max delays at 8. Although, on the contrary, on a wireless laptop I'll get crap signal and when I'd play counterstrike 1.6, I'd manage 30-40ms pings on a good UK server... who knows what with a cat5 cable (if I could be arsed buying a longer one!). I've heard bad things about mw2's servers or whether I'm just routed to American hosts giving me bad pings, I don't know. Anyway, enough of the rambling and onto my point -

If you are ethernet connected, then you'll want to ring sky (08442 410515) and get your max delays reduced. You'll get through to tier 1 firstly, ask them that you'd like your max delays reduced due to high ping times. If they're not sure what that means, ask them to create a ticket for upfront checks > high ping times and pass you to cst (customer solutions team).

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

that speedtest link won't work as they're not on Connect...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

IWasNotTheEnemy im not on connect anymore im on idnet's max braodband and it works fine

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The OP is not on Connect so your link will not work for him.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

doesnt the speedtest work on llu services?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It only works with BT products.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

cornishsky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Helston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Ok the only thing you will want to do is get your max delays sorted, thats about all you can do from your end. The problem with MW2 is it has auto host selection, and that is achieved by picking the person with the highest upload speed, the problem is, as americans have better cable and fiber infrastructure with 5mb upload speeds as standard , they are predominantly chosen to host. Now MW2 was meant to have this fixed, as we all know it was not, and day after day night after night we are forced to play real laggy games, tho you think we have it bad... in oz they have only red dots to play on and hence is a complete waste of time for them. At least we sometimes get a uk host lol. I hope that helps, apparently there is going to be an update at the end of the month with a fix... I hope so! But Infinity Ward aren't known for listening to its gamers, so don't get your hopes up.

richie001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cheltenham
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyconnectsufferer View Post

when searching for a game what ms number does it say when the percentage is going up while the search is looking? mine is 50ms for example

do you connect to the router with a cable or wirelessly with the xbox? wireless is unreliable with gaming and a cable is a must
      I get the same 50ms and i connect to the router with a cable

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Your stats are quite good really. If I was being picky, perhaps adsltwo+ is generating a few errors on the line - you're not having intermittently slow page loading or anything are you?
      Yes,but not all the time.I think i may have some problem's with the wiring inside and outside the house.I've already posted about getting some advice on replacing the internal wiring and face plate's.The outside wiring is quoting a BT engineer "compete mess and needs sorting"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast