Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Modern Warfare 2

This is a discussion on Modern Warfare 2 within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Thanks Smithy, I am seriously considering the Plusnet package....

Mike.c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Modern Warfare 2

Thanks Smithy,

I am seriously considering the Plusnet package.

2. Advertisement
      Btcc22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.c View Post
      I was on MW2 quite late last night (9pm - 2:45am) and around 12:30 I started to notice a slight improvement in packet loss. It continuted to improve until I had no packet loss what so ever, from 1:30 onwards.

Well I was kind of happy with that, because at least I knew what it was and it wasn't just a case of an unstable line. However, I get up this morning and think it can't possibly be peak hours at 10am on a Saturday, I should get some lag free gaming in.

Wrong!! first game I join I get the same packet loss I was experiencing at peak hours. Try a different game and the same occurs again.

What's going on?
      The throttling is often turned on for the weekend at all times.

Mr Fiddler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shepherds Bush
      Broadband ISP: TalkTalk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: sky+HD Amstrad
      Thanks

change to talktalk mate, i have never had a problem with any game,i and get 7mbits/sec download and 500-600kbits/sec upload any time of day(that said i do live less than a mile from the exchange). and I download loads of bittorrent films and talktalk dont seem to give a ****!!! they said they will resist any call from the government to stop people from downloading illegal content,and you get free phonecalls to uk landline numbers allday everday, all for 20 a month. if windows 7 is running well and you have no problems playing non-online games then it has to be your router/connection/isp thats the problem, Have you tried speedtest.net to check your ping and speeds at different times of the day? then you can see when and if sky throttle your bandwith at peak times. BT do this so DO NOT change to BT!!!! hope this helps fella.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

As there is no TalkTalk LLU in his exchange I would strongly advise against using them. They also force you to have your line and telephone on their network, another big downside!!!

Mike.c is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

Thanks for the help guys!

I'll post some ping test result when I get back home.

Generally though, it always varies when I run those tests. I'll get one result that gives me an A-B quality line and then I run the tests again (straight after) it gives me a nice fat F.

Never loose any packets during the tests, although I can only get the packet test to work on the Milton Keynes server. The problem comes from my ping fluctuating all over the place with a high amount of jitter (starts at 20~ ping and I have seen it shoot up to 500ms).

Anyway, I'll post some results later to show you exactly what I mean.

I am thinking of going with Plusnet and their gamer package, but before I do I want make sure it isn't a case of a technical fault in the line. In which case a change of provider is unlikely to help.
      Last edited by Mike.c; 22-11-09 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks

It is not a fault, it is all down to Sky's Connect package and the fact that they do not have enough bandwidth to go around. This will cause irratic results in ping times etc.

Nothing you do from your end can fix this, the only soloution is to move, I wouldn't waste my time doing the checks etc, the package is clearly at fault.

Plusnet are owned by BT and have a much better managed network than Sky's Connect and can prioritise gamers traffic so that even during busy periods the pings are not affected, if you want to do any gaming then they are the ones.

Also if for any reason you do get a fault on the line, they have a very good relationship with BT and tend to get any work done very quickly and with the least amount of fuss.

Btcc22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

The reason you don't see packet loss on PingTest is because it doesn't use UDP for testing.

I have problems completing the test in the evenings too. I've observed beavhior this on a lot of other testers too and I'm fairly sure it has something to do with the ports being used getting blocked/throttled.

UDP (used for the vast majority of games) are the ones that get dropped.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Mike.c
      Hi have a look at Sky Connect T & Cs

SKY BROADBAND CONNECT TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT POLICY

In addition to the monthly Usage Cap, this Traffic Management Policy applies to you if you take Sky Broadband Connect.
      Excessive use during peak time

We will monitor your Sky Broadband usage during peak times from 5pm to 12am each day. This is when the majority of customers use the network and when speeds could be affected by the excessive usage of a minority. If we consider that your usage is excessive during peak times we may slow down your connection for the rest of the day so that it has less affect on others. Only a very small number of customers will be affected by this (less than 2%). If you are affected, we will only slow down the speed you can get during peak times for applications which use a lot of bandwidth (for example, streaming, peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative effect on other customers. You will still be able to use Sky Broadband to do other things normally such as browsing, email, instant messaging and VOIP. There are no restrictions in place outside of peak times.

Traffic management of our Network

To ensure we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers, we continuously monitor and efficiently manage the Sky Network as a whole. To do this, during peak times (from 5pm to 12am each day), we may slow down the speed that all Sky Broadband Connect customers can get on certain applications which we consider use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.
      Also have a look at (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

What does this throttling affect? Everything, in particular the inability to download, stream videos and online gaming
      Listen to what Smithy99 says he has given good advise to many Connect Customers

Thanks

Thank you for the vote of confidence

I only wish Sky would do something about their Connect package to save all the problems it causes for people. I wonder just how many people out there are wondering what all the fuss is over the internet when they don't realise what the REAL problem is ande why they cannot use it like it is designed to be used.

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Thanks

i heard of plusnet before but i wasnt actually aware of their gamer package,if i hadnt already gone with idnet i would have gone with plusnet pro,i know idnet dont have contracts so im not tied down to them but they give such an awesome service and support i cant fault them.

idnet are not as well known for their gaming and pings quality mike but they recently changed their servers to improve pings for gaming and i noticed it when i played mw2.i play the xbox version but when i first got it, it would search for 100ms(ping) games but in last week it now always goes for 50ms games so something has got better.

id go with what smithy says mike and give plusnet a go,sounds like the perfect match for what you need i.e. the constant stable connection plus the low pings u need for the edge on your opponents,then u can wave goodbye to sky connect.

one thing tho i been with idnet since 2nd nov but i only recently managed to get my contract cancelled with sky in last few days as i was still in contract.you could wait until the 12 months are up or cancel now saying they are not giving you the service you are paying for and for having broken their terms and conditions.but if you do ring them just ask for your mac code and dont mention about cancelling just say your reason for wanting mac code and migrating is cause you are let down by the service.

sorry for long awnser but having being helped myself by skyuser members at getting out my connect hell i feel obliged to show other sufferers the light

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast