Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New To Sky BB

This is a discussion on New To Sky BB within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I play MMORPGs mainly and prior to Sky BB being activated on the 5th November I was using the ...

Darkfletcher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01405
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

New To Sky BB

Hi,

I play MMORPGs mainly and prior to Sky BB being activated on the 5th November I was using the highest BT package obviously not getting the proper speed because I am not in a whisker distance of the exchange but I never got lag or packet losses in games.

The night Sky became active obvious that Star Wars Galaxies registered a 100% packet loss because BT had ceased providing the Internet and the Sky system had to register me as being on their system.

I have been told that they will need 10 days to run tests on the line, I understand but would these tests cause 20-40% packet losses in the game? I can surf the Internet fine.

Setup

* Router sits within 1m of the ADSL microfilter, and I am using the new one from the box replacing the older BT one.

* Port 1: connect to the PC
      * Port 2: connects to the PS3 -turned off all the time until being used
      * Port 3: connects to the Blu-Ray player again turned off until in use

Wifi connections are a Laptop every so often and the Wii again turned off until needed.

Router supplied is a Netgear DG934G 54mbps ADSL Modem-Router using Firmware Version V2.02.44

PC Specs
      Windows 7 Home Premium
      AMD Athlon X2 64 5200
      2GB Ram
      ATI 3870HD 1024mb Graphics Card
      1.5TB Hard Drive Space
      1x DVD RW 20x
      1x DVD RW 16x

Norton Internet Security 2010 - set up to allow ALL Star Wars Galaxies software of Internet Use.

Since the 5th I have refreshed the router with soft boot, turned on and off and even changed port used, and still I am getting packet losses which make the game almost unplayable.

The reason I went Sky BB is because I have the HD TV pack and I wanted to mount all the utilities for the folks and BT was starting to take the p.... with their billing. I am hoping I aint made the worse mistake in my 9 years of using the Internet..

Any help and support on the matter would be hugely appreciated

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: New To Sky BB

If you're on Connect that's why - it's shaped/throttled between 5PM-midnight every night and will not get better any time soon...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Darkfletcher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01405
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

basically between what time after midnight will it be fine? and its cos I dont live nr an exchange

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It should return to normal speed around midnight, but I am afraid if you are on Connect you have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. See this and various other posts on Connect.
      (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

The general advice is to get out. Find an LLU supplier or an ISP who does not throttle so severely.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.